Speech Pathology Master's Program Aspirations - 2nd Career - Low Undergrad GPA (2.5) 14 Years Ago - MBA 4.0 GPA - Is This Realistic?

Hello,

I am a 37 year old male who eagerly wants to change careers from business administration to speech pathology.  I graduated in 1999 with a lousy GPA of 2.45.  Yes, very embarrassing... 

In the past 14 years I have excelled in business and hold an executive administrative position in the medical field.  I completed an Executive Master of Business Administration (GPA 4.0) a few years back.  I plan on obtaining a 2nd bachelor's degree in speech pathology and maintaining as close to a 4.0 GPA as I can.  I am also studying for the GRE and plan on doing well.  

My friends think I'm crazy as I am very well compensated in my current position and would be taking a major reduction in remuneration to change careers.  I am at a stage in life where I want to pursue my passion, not dollars.

I would appreciate any feedback as to how realistic it would be for me to get into a program.  I am determined; however, I am also a realist and know that admission into advanced degree programs can be VERY competitive.  

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by JES3

It seems like you'll be prepared for the numbers portion of the application but do you have SLP-related experience? I think passion and experience play a big part, especially for students who have embarrassing GPAs or are coming in without a background in SLP.

I was in a similar situation.  I had a undergrad degree with a sub 3.0, and a Master's degree with a very good G.P.A.  My GRE scores were decent (155, 153).  I applied to six grad schools this past year, and was admitted into two of them.  I would recommend against doing another Bachelor's degree, and instead apply to a post-bacc program.  Most schools only require about 7-10 classes for admission consideration.  A second bachelor's degree isn't necessary.  

• 2 weeks later...

Dibbels81,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you mind if I ask what schools you applied to?

Thanks.

Edited by JES3

• 1 month later...

I was in a similar situation.  I had a undergrad degree with a sub 3.0, and a Master's degree with a very good G.P.A.  My GRE scores were decent (155, 153).  I applied to six grad schools this past year, and was admitted into two of them.  I would recommend against doing another Bachelor's degree, and instead apply to a post-bacc program.  Most schools only require about 7-10 classes for admission consideration.  A second bachelor's degree isn't necessary.  

Dibbels 81, did you do a post bacc program as well?

As for me I have an undergrad in SLP (2.79 GPA, do to extenuating circumstances) (graduated 6 years ago) I got an MBA (3.67 GPA) and now I am finally in a space that I can go back into the field. I taught for about a year as a teacher/therapist at a high school for children with learning and behavior disorders. I am considering just taking the GRE (which I know I would do well on) and applying to NOVA. However, is the GRE necessary since I already have a Masters Degree?

Any feedback is helpful.

RoseGold79, if your GRE scores are more than 5 years old, my understanding is that you will need to retake them.

To the original poster, JES3, I would also recommend taking a couple leveling classes instead of getting a second bachelor's.  Some schools have more requirements than others as far as required course, but most require at least these three (if you are not doing a 3-year postbacc + Master's program):

• Phonetics
  • Anatomy and Physiology of Speech / Hearing
  • Audiology

Not only will you get some foundational knowledge, you can build relationships with professors for those LORs.  Based on a conversation I had with a professor on the admissions committee at my university, for him, letters from in-field professors hold a little more weight than out-of-field.  I'd imagine he's not the only one with this thought.

I, too, was a returning a student (though with a previous Bachelor's instead of a Master's).  I took a two-year post-bacc program before admission.  That said, now that I'm in a grad program, I am glad I did.  I have colleagues who took just the minimum courses to gain admission and feel overwhelmed by the amount of material they hadn't previously learned.  It's been a stressful month for them as try to "catch up".