LOR from senior lecturer?

Applemiu

Is it OK to have a letter of recommendation from a senior lecturer rather than from a full professor? The lecturer knows me well (I took two of his classes and I'm TA'ing for him) and he really likes me. Unfortunately he is not involved in research, but I should have two other letters from research profs.

I think it depends. I had a similar issue, whereby I was working with an assistant professor/senior lecturer (his title changed to the latter when applying) and I was told that his letter would not be as well respected at most schools. This was a problem for me because he was my undergrad advisor, I had TA'd several times with him, worked in his lab for 3 years and did my honours with him. Despite this, I was still told to be careful by many.

However, what helped me was that he is considered an 'up and coming' researcher and is respected within a small group of researchers (which happened to be in the same field I was applying). Everything seemed to work out really well since he knew most of the professors I applied to work with, as this letter actually came up in several interviews. I should also note that I had 2 other professors who are extremely well-known within this same field.

I would say, if he is the person who knows you best, then definitely have him write you a letter. I would take a great letter from a lecturer over a mediocre one any day...especially if you have two others to supplement it.

Thank you for the advice. He is not involved in research, just teaching undergrad; but he is my academic advisor, I took two classes with him, TA'd twice etc. so for sure he is the person that knows me the best.

Does he have his PhD (full spiel, not ABD)? If yes, a full prof would be better (as sdt13 was told, proceed with caution), but it's not the end of the world if you can't find anyone else; if he does not have his PhD, then you might want to find someone else.

Yes, he has his Phd in Psychology, he has been teaching for many years, and he also has a lot of responsibility in the department administration, but he does not conduct research. I understand that I should proceed  with caution, but he is giving me a lot of opportunities in teaching (Ta'ing, guest lecture, tutoring) and it is such a pity that a LOR from him probably does not have the value of a letter from a full professor.

I was in a similar situation last year - he is a senior lecturer, associate department head, has been with the department for 15+ years, etc. Only difference is that mine only has a masters, not a phd. But he knows me very well and could attest to my hardworking nature and other qualities, as opposed to a letter of "she took this class with me and got an A and we've never interacted, bye." Anyways, I used him (along with two letters from phd holding professors) and didn't have any issues.