How many Letters should I send?

BAW

I'm applying to a couple of MA programs that only ask for two letters of recommendation, although the wording makes it seem like they'd accept three. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and send all three or just the two best ones. Thoughts?

On a related note, I come from a small Classics department. I'll have a solid letter from the head of the department, and another one from from a well-respected and slightly famous Religion professor (my research experience straddles the two disciplines). I could get my third letter from our only other Classics PhD, but we've had lousy chemistry and he hasn't seen my best work. The other option would be approaching a prof from history or art history who might write me a more favorable letter. I don't think my second Classics professor will trash me or anything, but do you think it would hurt me to only have one letter from within my discipline?

Tough one. My knee-jerk responses are: a ) if you think you'll have two great ones and one "meh," send two to the places that ask for two. b ) I would use your History professor, if you know s/he'd give you a better letter and can speak toward your preparedness for graduate school.

Edited by Furcifera