interdisciplinary work in classics, art history, and/or religion

sport1

Hello,

I'm curious about programs with interdisciplinary centers or certificates in classics, art history, and/or religion. Do your own institutions have them, or did you apply to some that did? Failing that, perhaps you know of places where informal but robust research-sharing, workshops, or reading groups occur.

(For clarification, I'm not looking to apply to these places - just seeking your assistance in developing a list of models like these.)

Thanks!

Sarah

Vanderbilt Divinity School has a certificate program in the Arts and Religion. Its concerned with the Arts broadly, but we have folks in it who focus on Art History and Religion. I'm not in the program, but I love art history.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/religionandarts/index.php

Northwestern has many certificate programs that also intersect with what's called the Interdisciplinary Cluster Initiative. (Some clusters offer certificates, but there are certificate programs without clusters and visa versa.) There are clusters (with certificates) in classics and critical theory (which has many art history students and a lot of reading groups in aesthetics. I'm a member of this cluster as well). Here's a link to the cluster initiative site (which links to the list of certificate programs as well): 

http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/academics/academic-programs/cluster-certificate/index2.html

It's not "classics" but there are A LOT of medievalists here (both students and faculty) who are interested in the intersection of religion and art, and they're spread out among the RS, art history, English, and history departments. Interdisciplinary study is highly encouraged here, though that's probably fairly common nowadays. Still, most students take at least one exam in a different department. Some have two home departments and TA/teach courses in both. What is maybe not quite as common is that the various humanities departments get along together quite well here--or at least with religious studies!