The decisions are in: SAIS, Georgetown (SFS) or Denver?

andy121

The decisions are in. SAIS and Georgetown (MSFS) both accepted me but added no funding. Denver's Korbel School offered me about 50% off tuition. What are the important things I should consider when making my decision? Here are things important to me:

Which school would have the best connections in DC?

Which school is the most regarded in the international organizations like the OECD, World Bank, and IMF?

Which school would prepare me most, if I decided to lean towards a poli sci/IS PhD?

Thanks!

Ps I also got a no from high and mighty KSG.

SAIS and MSFS are very close peers in almost every regard. If you were to ask a SAIS alumnus your questions, s/he would say SAIS; if you were to ask a MSFS alum, s/he would say MSFS.

On question 1, it's probably close to even.

On question 2, SAIS is better represented, but this might just be a result of more alumni. However, all those organizations you listed love students with quantitative skills. They know that all SAIS students have at least a functional quantitative proficiency, which can be a great "signal" when applying for positions.

On question 3, I personally prefer MSFS over SAIS--it's a smaller program (SAIS has close to 600 full-timers while MSFS has about 200) and I think you would be able to get more individualized attention. If you're looking to pursue a PhD, you're going to have to get some articles published, and I think a smaller program would be more conducive to that.

The Denver offer is tempting, but it amounts to only about $33,000 over two years. I think the higher quality students (on average), higher quality education, and more connected alumni networks you will find at MSFS and SAIS are more valuable. Plus, Georgetown says that 50% of second year students receive financial aid (compared to only 10-15% of first years), so if you perform well, you have a great shot at getting some money your second year. I'm not sure about SAIS, but I think it's similar.

Good luck with your decision; you have some great options.

I agree with the points made by younglions and would add that the choice between SAIS and Georgetown really comes down to what specialization you want to do.

East Asia? Go to SAIS.

Anything heavily quantitative? Go to SAIS.

International Development? Go to SAIS.

Europe/Russia? Go to Georgetown.

Diplomacy/FP analysis? Go to Georgetown.

Security Studies? Either would be excellent.

I won't claim to be an expert in any way, but this is at least the impression I've gotten.

It is definitely between SAIS and MSFS. I'm concentrating in security and I think the balance tips in favor of MSFS because you can take your security courses from the Security Studies Program (SSP). If you look at those courses, SAIS simply can't compete. If you want Quantitative / Econ and want to work for the IMF or World Bank, then go SAIS! As for a Phd, you can make it happen at either school, but MSFS would probably be a bit more favorable especially if you take the Thesis Seminar in the SSP program http://courses.georgetown.edu/?CourseID=SEST-700 because it will allow you to produce something worth publishing. Denver simply can't compete with these programs on all fronts so that makes it a bit easier.

I agree with the points made by younglions and would add that the choice between SAIS and Georgetown really comes down to what specialization you want to do.

East Asia? Go to SAIS.

Anything heavily quantitative? Go to SAIS.

International Development? Go to SAIS.

Europe/Russia? Go to Georgetown.

Diplomacy/FP analysis? Go to Georgetown.

Security Studies? Either would be excellent.

I won't claim to be an expert in any way, but this is at least the impression I've gotten.

Thanks Jeppe for your insight. My main interests and experience lie in North American Econ/FP and Sub-saharan Africa Dev. Anyone have thoughts on those specific fields?

I am in the same boat in terms of deciding between Georgetown and SAIS. I can't make up my mind until I get the official packet that tells me whether I have funding at either school. Probably the biggest difference between both schools is the very heavy econ requirements at SAIS, especially compared to the more broad-based approach that SFS has.

I am leaning toward SAIS. Mostly it is about where I would like to work after my studies. I'd like to work at the World Bank, IDB etc. or possibly take up consulting (either development or management). I think is probably better to go to SAIS for that kind of career.

If you are thinking of joining the foreign service, or anything related pretty directly with American fp then you should go to SFS. If you want to possibly get into the private sector (possibly) definitely consider doing the certificate in international business diplomacy.