Low Quantitative High Verbal scores

alisonleejy

I took my GREs today and got a 169 on verbal and 159 on quantitative. Essay results aren't out yet. I've got a first class honors and research experience in a number of different labs. I am currently working as a consultant trainee in an HR consultancy which is highly related to IO psychology. My absolute dream is to enter the NYU IO psychology masters program. Do you think I stand a good chance or should I retake my GREs to improve the quantitative component which is pretty low?

159 for quantitative isn't too low. The percentiles are based on all applicants, but if you look at the psych percentiles, 159 is respectable. I think that math majors etc bring up the percentiles.

Check this out: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table4.pdf

I agree with our treehugging friend, 159quant is nothing to be discouraged about, especially with a near perfect verbal. From my understanding, quant is less important in fields such as IO as opposed to Quantitative Psychology, for example.