Graduate programs in aging biology?

InquilineKea

Have you considered applying to the NIH Graduate Partnership Program? The National Institute of Aging sounds like a place where you might be a good fit. They have PIs doing research in different areas of aging, including a division of aging biology.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Hmm - as for the NIH Graduate Partnership Program... Is that different from a traditional graduate program? Would I have to already be in a graduate program first?

I know a few of the people over at Brown (though more at EEB than the other depts) - but I'm not sure if there's much computational research done in their aging division?

There are a few ways to do it. The first way, which is the way I did, is apply directly to the program and the host university, and be accepted that way. They have partnerships with Hopkins, GW, Georgetown, Brown, Boston, and Oxford. You take classes at the host university and perform your research at NIH.

The second way is through an individual partnership. You will already have to be enrolled in a graduate program. You will have to identify a prospective mentor at NIH who will agree to host you throughout your graduate education.

Oh nice - I see. Do you know if applying directly to the program could affect one's chances of getting into the PhD program of the host university as well? (maybe it could help with finding funding, or finding an adviser, especially if there aren't many advisers at the host university who do computational aging research and who are taking new students on?)

Edited by InquilineKea

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this it too late, but what exactly do you mean by program? I can think of two people that do research involving computational and experimental senescence and would probably be interested in grad students: Tom Sherratt at Carleton (Ottawa, Canada) and Rob Laird at University of Lethbridge (Lethbridge, Canada). However, the program would simply be biology, I think, not aging or senescence. So, you'd have to fulfill whatever requirements are necessary for a program in bio but would focus your research on aging.

Hey, another aging guy, sweet!  That's what I'm applying for for PhD programs.  Pretty much all of the schools in my signature are known for aging research, except maybe not UT Austin as much.

I also recommend this site to see where people who have money and do aging research are: http://www.nia.nih.gov/research/announcements/2013/09/recent-nia-grants#.UnGBMBCQNbw