What does it take to get into a high ranking program?

wandajune

I'm hoping to get in to at least a top 50 Ph.D. program in philosophy, though preferably a school in the top 20. Here's what I'm working with:

GPA: 3.96/4.00 in philosophy

GRE: 169V/156Q/5.0AW

I'm from an unknown, small liberal arts college, and I'm concerned that this will hurt my chances of getting into a top program. My letters of rec should be glowing, albeit from fairly unknown names. Assuming my writing sample is very good (obviously this is hard to say), would you think I could stand a chance at getting into the top 20, at least 50?

• 2 months later...

Apply to a range of programs. Apply to some MAs as well. Polish your writing sample and statement of purpose to a high shine. 

But keep in mind that top 20 placements are very, very competitive, even if you have a near-perfect application. That's why I recommend a buck-shot approach--don't price yourself out of the market. 

• 3 weeks later...

First they rank you by quality of your writing sample, and then when they have their piles together they refer to your stats as tie-breakers

So you have great tie-breaking stats, but what dies your writing sample look like? Do you have an abstract?

dfindley man, did you even read the process on U Chicago's website? They don't even carefully examine the writing samples until after the first cut was made (which at Chicago, apparently, is 250 applicants). That means that they eliminate a little over half of the applicant pool before they closely examine the writing sample. Then, only after they've made that first cut and closely read the writing samples, do they narrow down the applicant pool to 20 people. At that point they begin the tie-breaking stuff. U Chicago is a highly respected program, as I'm sure you know, so it's safe to assume that most applications processes are similar, if not exactly the same.

They even say, and I quote:

For obvious reasons of efficiency, the grades and scores are looked at first; but the letters of recommendation in every folder are at least skimmed.

"At least skimmed". That's how they classify the care with which they examine your writing sample before making first cuts.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I'm sure most places "at least skim" the writing sample. The point is that it is just skimmed during the first round. OP's stats will get him through the first round at most places, and from that point they weed people out based on writing sample. If you want to be competitive at U Chicago, you'll have to have decent stats and, not or,  a good writing sample. If you're serious about applying to U Chicago, then you'll also need to pick a chapter of your book, as opposed to the whole thing. I was told explicitly that they're fairly strict about their 20ish page requirement and won't read much more than that. There are just too many applicants.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Not really, considering that it's not really as simplistic as you make it seem. I'd be more concerned with a writing sample that has a whole chapter devoted to "Nietzschean" conception of government. It's almost as if you've never read any of the myriad polemics against political entities which are spread widely throughout many of his works. I wonder what Pippin or Leiter might have to say about,

"public education is prioritized as primary, and a fair socio-economic system is taken for granted as a matter of course."

given what Nietzsche has to say about education and, again, his polemics against government. It's almost as if you've never read Nietzsche before.

"I wonder what piper or leiter would have to say"

Pfft why don't you think for yourself. You're so lame. I can't believe you use his portrait as your avatar, after all the things you've said and all the values you portray.

You are an underman }=-O

• 2 weeks later...