Really Bad Undergrad GPA, Stellar Grad School GPA

TaewooBurns

Hey there I wondered if I could get some feedback from y'all.  I had a very bad GPA from a "MAC" school (2.7ish).  However, I went to grad school in a different field (MATESOL) and I had a 3.9 from there.  My question is- will my undergrad GPA hold me back or do you think schools will also consider my improved GPA at grad school?  

Grad GPA matters a lot, but your MA field doesn't seem to translate well, on the surface at least. Did you do some scholarship or was it a purely professional program?

It wasn't a purely professional program, but it leaned that way.  I know the subject matter is different, that is why I am now collecting data for my writing sample.  My current research has a strong sociology bend.  I think I have all of that under control, I'm aiming at a 2015 entry so I have time to get my writing done with a high level of quality.  I was mostly wondering to what degree my MA covers up my BA.  

My undergrad GPA was in the 2.9 range (at an elite research university, but still...) and I got 7 funded offers last year, including 1 from a top 10 department and 3 in the top 20. 

How? I spent 2 years making everything else in my application stand out- I got a 4.0 in my MA program (in International Studies), great recs from distinguished professors, 165/161/5.0 GRE, etc. Most importantly, though, I spent a lot of time reading, talking to my professors, and learning to think sociologically. My personal statement, writing sample, and the recs I got from professors all made it clear that I was ready to participate in the sociological community. 

My advice would be to find someone to mentor you through this process- a relatively young professor is usually a good bet. I had a mentor who really values education and was very honest with me about how much work I needed to do.

Thanks for the advice, that is nearly exactly what I'm doing.  I'm located in Seoul now, but I do work at a university and have access to most journals.  What I've been doing is going through the reading lists at different schools for comprehensive exams, and reading them.  I've boned up on a lot of what is going on.  I'm also doing some independent research with North Korean defectors which will end up being my writing sample.  While I've been here I've been able to meet with some other people with similar research interests so that's been great.  I plan to finish the research by mid-October, then try to finish the writing before the end of the year.  Then for the first 6 months of next year I'll study the GRE and Korean.