Psychology subject test for cognitive systems major

craigers001

Hi everyone,

I decided to make my own post because I haven't found anything here that specifically answers my question. I have a bachelor's (BSc) in Cognitive Systems (cognitive science) from UBC and I'd like to apply to some psychology programs (cognitive area) since not many schools offer a degree in cognitive science. I'm just wondering how much would writing the psychology subject test help or strengthen my application? I'm not sure if I should or not because while my degree is quite closely related to cognitive psychology, I feel that my program, cognitive systems, isn't well known and perhaps the test would show my knowledge better.

For some background info, in my program I've taken about 10 psychology courses, most being cognitive, plus my program's own research methods course and research project course (simpler version of an honours thesis).

Thanks!

Another consideration:  some schools request it for non-psych majors.  Since you weren't a psych major, even if a school doesn't request it, you may want to take it and then put a sentence in your personal statement to the effect that you got (insert awesome score here) on the psychology subject GRE.

Edited by Bren2014

Hi everyone,

I decided to make my own post because I haven't found anything here that specifically answers my question. I have a bachelor's (BSc) in Cognitive Systems (cognitive science) from UBC and I'd like to apply to some psychology programs (cognitive area) since not many schools offer a degree in cognitive science. I'm just wondering how much would writing the psychology subject test help or strengthen my application? I'm not sure if I should or not because while my degree is quite closely related to cognitive psychology, I feel that my program, cognitive systems, isn't well known and perhaps the test would show my knowledge better.

For some background info, in my program I've taken about 10 psychology courses, most being cognitive, plus my program's own research methods course and research project course (simpler version of an honours thesis).

Thanks!

Just take it. It will save you time to figure out what schools require it and which ones don't, and it will show that you know Psychology. There's no downside unless you think you will do horribly.