Pedigree

philstudent1991

My major GPA is a 4.0 and my GRE verbal is 99th percentile. My letters will say I am one of the best out of the department in years, and my sample, I think, will be pretty solid. Yet, I wonder if I can get in to any Leiter T 20 program. This is because I go to a school that does not have a PhD program, and is not a SLAC or Dartmouth or anything of the sort. It's not a community college or anything either, but it does not have an overwhelming academic reputation. I would be curious to hear from those that got into top schools with less that outstanding pedigree as to whether this weakness is damning to an otherwise exceptional application. (And yes, I know I should apply to some MAs).

• 3 weeks later...

It obviously matters to some extent, but I don't think that pedigree alone will keep you out of a T-20 program. If you look at a program like Rutgers, you can see that their graduate students are not all from top-tier programs. The other issue is that pedigree often works against an applicant in terms of LORs, as well. It seems like a glowing letter from Big Name Philosopher will be weightier than a glowing letter from a relatively unknown philosopher. 

Of course, I'm not sitting on an admissions committee - but from my discussions with advisors this is what I've learned. 

If you don't apply, you won't get in. If you do apply, you've got about as little chance as anyone else.

Don't worry about what's beyond your control, and focus on what is still in your control--i.e. your writing sample and cover letter/statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything can happen, and it sounds like you have a solid application

But also, consider some mid ranked programs, which can be very excellent in some specialty that fits your interests

• 1 month later...

You have as good a chance as anyone, but keep in mind that those programs are extremely competitive, and that they don't just look for the strength of the application but for good fit with the department. Choose carefully, and by all means, apply to some top 20 schools, but also apply to a range of schools of varying rank. People do get shut out because they aim too high and have no backup plan.  

And if you have the time, consider an MA. A strong MA can send a student with no pedigree to a high ranked school. I came from Tufts, and they do have pretty amazing placement. There are other strong programs as well.