Uploading Extra Documents

Do you know if most schools' application systems allow you a few uploads that are just "miscellaneous documentation" (for things like name changes, a note in which you just want to provide some pertinent information, a good teaching evaluation, an additional letter of rec from an employer) etc.?  Or do you just send that stuff over email if you want them to have it?

It depends on the system but usually there is a place to either upload the documents directly onto the app or there will be some text box asking for "any other information" you want to provide the adcom (or some such). You need to check the apps for the schools you're applying to for an answer that is relevant to your case. 

If it's an MFA (master of fine arts - terminal degree of arts programs) you get to upload or send a portfolio which can essentially have anything you want in it ;)

But for most other programs I'm going to assume it's on a case-by-case basis and probably would be discussed with the admisions rep handling your file.

You know, you can normally log into the applications for schools you'll be applying to and click through the app to get a feel for what's required. As long as you don't submit, you can just go back and forth and see what kinds of documents they require/allow you to upload. It's generally not a bad idea to do this anyway, to make sure you're not missing an important requirement. 

My general understanding is that if you don't complete the file - transcripts, letters, etc.. that no one reviews it until it's finished.

For the school i was looking at, i emailed my admissions counselor and was told, once complete, it goes to him, department head, grad studies head, and a few other people who were assigned to me for review. They see everything at once - so if there's something I feel needs context or wouldn't want to be missed, if it's in there.. it's in there. This was because I was asking about where to put certain items (published works, etc..) in the portfolio versus CV/resume.

I would think that's a pretty common way to do it. I remember reading once about admissions folks, their training, and how they view files. I'm pretty sure it's standard to see the whole thing at once.