yet another "what are my chances" thread

alkylholic

Hi! 

I am interested in the top organic chemistry (to do alkaloid natural product synthesis) grad schools with Scripps as my first pick. I'm concerned that my lab research stat may hold me back. My friends and colleagues say I'll be fine, but I want outsider opinions. What do you guys think? 

Undergraduate Stats: 

Schools: 2 years of community colleges, 1 year at UCI - already graduated with Chem BS 

Overall GPA: 3.90, Majors GPA: 3.93 

Graduate Courses (at UCI): 6 total, 5 organic and 1 inorganic. I got 4 A+s and 1 A- in the organics, a B in the inorganic. 

Awards:

-ACS POLYEd Undergraduate Award (for all the grad classes)

-Outstanding Senior in Chemistry (finished at the top of my chem class)

-OC Community Foundation Chemistry Scholarship (for $10k)

GRE: Will take soon, but have consistently scored above the 90th percentile on practices for chem.  

Research: 10 months in a chem bio/organic/materials group, no pubs right now or within the timeframe of deadlines. 

LORs:  

Writer 1. PI, taught polymers (research proposal based) grad class that I got an A+ in. I don't know how good the letter will be based on lab research though.  

Writer 2. Taught two grad synthesis classes, knows me well and got A+s in his classes.   

Writer 3. Taught a spectroscopy grad class, which I got an A-, but knows me very well and thinks a lot of me. 

Writer 4. World famous synthetic chemist, taught one grad synthesis class with number 2 and knows well, me, but not as much as the others.  

I know the it's usually 3 letters, but others (and I agree) have told me a LOR from writer 4 is worth sending. 

Thanks! 

Edited by alkylholic

You'll need a LOR from the prof whose research group you've worked in and who can talk specifically about your research experiences.. World-famous Synthetic Chemist is certainly a good LOR to have - but he can't actually speak about your ability to succeed at research...which is really the most important thing. Nor can any of the letter-writers who taught you in class (unless you did a project with them). A LOR from somebody who knows you and your research capacity very well and who can go into  lots of specifics will be equal if not better than something generic from a Famous Professor who taught your class once.

A-Grades are important as an undergrad, but in grad school the bulk of your time and success as a future scientist will revolve around successfully conducting research, getting results and working well without the constant prodding of your PI. In that respect I think your application is a little too "coursework heavy, research light"...

You'll need a LOR from the prof whose research group you've worked in and who can talk specifically about your research experiences.. World-famous Synthetic Chemist is certainly a good LOR to have - but he can't actually speak about your ability to succeed at research...which is really the most important thing. Nor can any of the letter-writers who taught you in class (unless you did a project with them). A LOR from somebody who knows you and your research capacity very well and who can go into  lots of specifics will be equal if not better than something generic from a Famous Professor who taught your class once.

A-Grades are important as an undergrad, but in grad school the bulk of your time and success as a future scientist will revolve around successfully conducting research, getting results and working well without the constant prodding of your PI. In that respect I think your application is a little too "coursework heavy, research light"...

I am getting one from the prof I do research in (writer 1). 

Perhaps I should have elaborated on my research more. I have been doing well and working hard in research, something my PI will reflect. What I am iffy about is whether schools care about how long one has been doing research. It seems like a lot of people do at least 2 years research... 

Edited by alkylholic

10 months is enough time for your undergrad PI to evaluate your potential as a PhD candidate. If you have doubts as to whether the adcoms will acknowledge this, ask your letter writers to address your research potential specifically. Although your short research term may be less than the average for top schools, a LoR indicating strong potential will assuage concerns on part of the admission committee.

I.e., from what I've seen, you have a chance given your awards and strong academic record. It's worth applying, and much hinges on the quality of the LoR.

Edited by loginofpscl

Your stats are perfect to aim for the top graduate programs in Organic Chemistry. Scripps is always a toss up for anyone, they get a lot of top applicants, but aim high and see where you land. Good luck.