Help in selecting schools: queer lit, religion, identity development?

B-612

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in studying British literature from 20th century onward. I have a background in religion and would love to find a program where my religious interests would be well-nourished, even though I'd be predominately working with literature. I'm concerned with the role literature plays in the development of identity, especially at the intersection between religion and gender/sexuality. The reason is because as a gay man raised in an evangelical home, literature provided me both a safe haven and a space to wrestle with all the questions I felt the Church discouraged. 

When I got to college, Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit became a permanent fixture in my library. I've also loved Hollinghurst, Isherwood and Forster. 

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good literature programs or scholars that might suit this interest. 

• 3 months later...

Off the top of my head, I know I've seen programs that favor religious, environmental, and nature-based writing (as well as a few that offer emphases in young adult lit). I haven't seen one that specifically favors queer lit, although being fairly liberal environments, I'm sure there are schools that would be open to it.

• 2 months later...

Off the top of my head, I know I've seen programs that favor religious, environmental, and nature-based writing (as well as a few that offer emphases in young adult lit). I haven't seen one that specifically favors queer lit, although being fairly liberal environments, I'm sure there are schools that would be open to it.

I'm sorry it's taken me two months to give you my thanks, Tony, but I very much appreciate your reply! I will say that I applied to Georgia College knowing about the Flannery O'Connor connection and was accepted there. Let's hope that the blend of gender, sexuality and religion makes me an interesting candidate to my other prospective programs. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...