EAPSI 2014

guttata

My host professor told me that the hosts for NZ had to confirm with Royal Society of New Zealand by the 12th, so I'm guessing the NSF is just waiting on the confirmations from the host institutions before sending out the orientation info.

Hey everyone!

I just stumbled across this forum. I have a tentative offer for Japan; anyone else headed to Okinawa?

Does anyone else find it strange to be talking about housing arrangements with your host but not have an official acceptance?

(I love Okinawa!!)

I think the consensus (from talking to people who were in EAPSI in past year) is that tentative offer = 99.999999999999999999999999999% official, barring...natural disaster or freak accidents. But yes, my host researcher already booked me accommodation. I've been treating it as official so it doesn't feel as weird :) 

Yikes, now I feel behind! I have a tentative offer from New Zealand and have not discussed housing with my host. Was trying not to plan too much until it was official!

New Zealand folks: is anyone else going to Christchurch? If so, would you be interested in sharing housing? Most of the guest houses and places with reasonably priced housing for one say they have no vacancies for that time.

Hi all, well heard that I didn't get an offer for Japan, oh well! To those that will go, please enjoy! As per the NZ folks, I spoke with my friend Peter from my cohort last year and he will represent our class. He was in Auckland with me, and we lived together as well for about the first 2 weeks. If you haven't started looking for housing, I recommend getting in touch with your hosts and seeing if they have plans for you. If not, should look at the "flat mates wanted" section of trademe.co.nz. For the most part you can find temp housing that way. Also I purchased a bicycle on that site while I was down there. It's pretty much the most legit place to buy anything second hand in NZ.

Hey everyone!

I just stumbled across this forum. I have a tentative offer for Japan; anyone else headed to Okinawa?

Does anyone else find it strange to be talking about housing arrangements with your host but not have an official acceptance?

I found it strange to contact my host regarding housing too, but when I contacted Elena she said we should be contacting them now. No worries though, I just set up mine! =P 

Also, I'll be in Miyazaki. =)

Sooooo anyone hear anything about the Washington D.C. orientation weekend? Isn't it getting a little late in the game for them to notify us if we're supposed to be going on April 3rd and 4th?

If not, should look at the "flat mates wanted" section of trademe.co.nz. For the most part you can find temp housing that way. Also I purchased a bicycle on that site while I was down there. It's pretty much the most legit place to buy anything second hand in NZ.

trademe says it requires people to be New Zealand or Australia residents to join. NZ folks, has anyone figured out a way around this, or a way to email folks with listings without being a member?

Edited by pdelta

Sooooo anyone hear anything about the Washington D.C. orientation weekend? Isn't it getting a little late in the game for them to notify us if we're supposed to be going on April 3rd and 4th?

I got an email from Elena yesterday and she said instructions for booking through Sato would be coming out later this week.

pdelta, I am having the same problem with trademe! Perhaps we can find some NZ bound people at orientation interested in sharing housing.

I'll be heading to NZ as well but will be at Otago in Dunedin. 

Just a heads up, the wait time for getting an agent at SATO is kind of ridiculous. I'm sitting here rapidly losing my last grasp on sanity from the repeating hold messages. Might want to call right when they open or right before they close.

Yay! It's booked! The agent was so nice.

I'll get there at noon on Thursday. Let me know if anyone's up for lunch then. I'll check back in here when the day draws close :)

Any thoughts on flights from people in SoCal? There is only one flight leaving on the 3rd that I've found that get in before 4 (the 5:50am out of LAX). Are you gonna do that? Take a red eye? Try to come in a day early? I like to think through all of my options before calling.

Hi, I am also from Irvine. I haven't looked into my options, but flying out of LAX at 5:50 in the morning sounds unpleasant. It may be the best option though? What are you using to look up flight info?