J1 vs F1

liszt85

Could somebody explain the difference? Is it possible for me to come to the US to attend a MS program on a J1 visa so that my spouse can get a J2 and hence can work if she manages to find work after she gets there? (F2 dependents cannot work in the US)

You really need to ask the program that question. They will be able to tell you if they issue J1 visas and if you can be a candidate for one. I think sometimes schools can choose either (though J1 is more of a hassle, I hear) and you can try to haggle, it all depends on the specific school, the sources of your funding there, etc. Sometimes schools can only issue F1 visas. The safest bet is to call the department and get the most accurate information there. Visas are too important for you to risk relying on information someone gave you in a forum anyway :).

You really need to ask the program that question. They will be able to tell you if they issue J1 visas and if you can be a candidate for one. I think sometimes schools can choose either (though J1 is more of a hassle, I hear) and you can try to haggle, it all depends on the specific school, the sources of your funding there, etc. Sometimes schools can only issue F1 visas. The safest bet is to call the department and get the most accurate information there. Visas are too important for you to risk relying on information someone gave you in a forum anyway :).

Yea, you're right :P I will do that but would help if there is some input from people who've already had the experience.