International Students - Funding for M.S?

dontworrybehappy

Hi there,

I will be applying to a couple graduate programs for M.S in Computer Science. I am targeting schools on the East coast, California and Canada, although I haven't shortlisted them yet. My research suggests that most schools grant scholarships to international students only if there exists academic excellence. And I don't have that :) Say, I can barely get accepted.

Now, what options do I have here? I don't think I will be able to get loans - as I am not a citizen nor a permanent resident. Anyone been through the same path, I would appreciate any suggestions or sources to look into.

About the TA/RAships; how common are they for M.S in CS? Can one count on that? What is the average ratio (MS students with TA/RAships vs. those without)? What is the expected income?

Well, I know these extremely vary from school to school, year to year and individual to individual. Nevertheless, it'd be great to get a general picture of the situation in my mind. Any recommendations on the "types" of schools I should consider?

I'd highly appreciate any suggestions or experiences so I can set my expectations (and hopes) accordingly.

Edited by dontworrybehappy

I would recommend that you try to research the schools that have favorable relationships with your country.  For instance, Chile and Japan have very good relations with my school and thus it makes answering these questions easier.  Some of this simply has to do with prior students experience being able to assist you.

• 3 weeks later...

I would really encourage you to talk to schools in your country to find out if you can talk to students who have been in your shoes before.  I am apart of the University of California system and while the details vary from school to school even if you were able to get a TA position it wouldn't cover your out-of-state or out of country fees.  It only covers in state fees.  The issue with RA positions is that it ends up putting 100% of the burden on the PI or department to pay for your fees and while you could be much more qualified than other applicants for the RA position if they don't feel that spending an extra $40,000 on you and feel that they can get a good value with an instate student they will likely go that route.  This is why it's important to find out which schools have a history with your school/country as it can stream line this process and usually benefit the student.  It may restrict your choices but I am guessing that as an int'l student you may have to do that already.