Rhet/Comp: Program(s) for a Couple

So me and my partner are both finishing up our MA program in Rhet/Comp and we're looking to apply to PhD programs next fall ('14). The thing is, we need to be close to each other. Like, it's a must. So our question is: are there any programs likely to admit both of us and/or programs really close by so that we can live in between the schools? We're looking at mostly top two tier schools, but also lesser known ones. Has this worked out for anyone else? 

Also, no homo.

We were making fun of the bro-culture slang--didn't mean anything by it. This is a genuine question. What is the likelihood of two applicants from the same MA program getting into the same doctoral program? Has this worked out for anyone else? We have some similar research interests (we took most of the same courses), but we each have a fundamentally different focus within rhet./comp. Ideally, we could be seen as "fits" within the same program without seeming like carbon copies. Also, what are some decent rhet./comp. programs that are within a reasonable driving distance from each other?

I don't know of any PhD programs in the Humanities that necessarily try to recruit couples as grad students. I think hiring as TT faculty is another question. I'd say, put together the best applications you both can (which I imagine y'all are already doing!) and see what happens. I do think it's good that you have different focuses because it seems admissions committees try to select diverse candidates for their programs. 

As for driving distance, George Mason University (D.C.) and University of Maryland, College Park are within driving distance and both have a PhD in Rhet/Comp emphasis. How far apart are Phoenix and Tucson? U of Arizona and Arizona State both have PhD programs as well. Pitt, Penn State, and IUP are all in the same state, although Penn State tends to only admit one student with an MA a year. How far apart are Columbus (Ohio State) and Oxford (Miami)? Urbana-Champaign and Bloomington are also within two hours of each other, I believe. Hope this helps!

As others said, I think the best thing to do is just to make the two best individual applications to various schools that you can, and then hope for the best. I actually am not sure if it's allowed for them to take partners into consideration when making admissions decisions. I know in some schools, it's against state policy or state law for schools to inquire about your marital status, whether you have children, etc., because of the wording of anti-discrimination statutes.

There are a number of rhet/comp PhD programs in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. I saw that you already had UT-Dallas and UT-Arlington on your list. Others to consider would be Texas Woman's University and Texas Christian University. Louisville and Lexington (University of Kentucky) are only about 45 minutes away from each other, and I think there's a mass of Florida schools that are all pretty close?

Have you guys looked at rhetmap.org? There is a geographic map of all the PhD programs that have at least a rhet/comp track.