Art History M.A. Program Selection

Dia Alam

Hi everyone!

So, I'm looking into applying for an M.A. Program in Art History. To be more specific, I want to focus on Early Christian Iconography (can extend to medieval if necessary), with a particular focus on mosaics and its relation to Late Antique Scripture, Liturgy, and architectural setting. I hope that is concise enough to give you an idea of what my research will be about. 

Right now, I think its best for me to apply for an M.A., I'm not confident enough to straight go into a PhD program and so I think an M.A. will be a nice segue into what I really want to write my PhD dissertation on.

So far, here is my list for M.A. programs:

1. Boston University

2. Courtauld Institute of Art

3. George Mason University

4. George Washington University

5. NYU Institute of Fine Arts

6. Penn State University

7. Washington University in St. Louis (it's PhD, but heck it's too good to pass up!)

8. Tufts University

9. UC Davis (Again PhD but worth a shot)

10. University of Edinburgh

11. UNC Chapel Hill

12. University of Pennsylvania

13. Williams College

14. Columbia University

15. University of Wisconsin Madison

And maybe:
16. Bryn Mawr

17. Northwestern (both are PhD)

I would love to hear your opinions on these programs, and which you think would be suitable for me. If there are other programs that are not mentioned here, please do let me know!

Also, how many schools should one apply to? I was thinking between 10-12, is that too much? Not too many? 

Eager to hear back from you folks! 

UC Davis' PhD program is Visual Studies Performance Studies, not Art History, as far as I know. They're always going on about starting an art history one but no one ever gets anywhere with it. That said, it's a pretty great program in a really groady town.

I double checked, it's performance studies and they'll let you do stuff IN art history but it's not an art history doctorate.

Edited by Borden

The number of graduate programs for me was limited to the number of applications I had the energy to fill out, it's more tiring than you think! My area of study is not Early Christian but South American textiles so I don't know how much help I would be but I'll give it a go. Firstly, don't undervalue yourself regarding the PhD.I've seen several students get into good PhD programs straight from undergrad and most in art history come with full funding at the better schools. Funding brings me to my second point of advise which I'm sure you've already gotten but it bears repeating, watch out for debt. Masters programs can be very expensive and with the uncertain job market it can become a serious burden. All of the programs you have listed have good general reputations so I think they would all be decent programs. I have heard good things about Williams especially. It's worthwhile to contact the professors you are interested in working with to see what their interest in you would be and also to verify if they are accepting new students, that way you don't waste your application money on someone who is retiring.

Hey Shelley!

Thanks for your reply. I'm quite anxious in applying for any PhD programs, because I have an idea of what I want to focus on my M.A., but very vague on what I want to do for PhD... is that normal? Or should I have a more solid idea for my PhD? 

Don't discredit programs that have both MAs and PhDs. In some cases, as it is in my program, entrance into the PhD is often a formality upon completing the MA. These MAs can come with funding, too. But make sure that the MA feeds into the PhD (this may require reading between the lines), unlike programs such as Rutgers and UPenn, which distinctly separate the two degrees and offer absolutely no funding for the MA. 

UW Madison and UNC-Chapel Hill are good programs that would fit the bill, which I note only because I see it in your list. 

NYU IFA for the Masters, on the other hand, has a certain reputation for being a cashcow. I don't know if this is still the case, but it was the word in the last cycle. 

Edited by Lamantin

Hmm, difficult question. The general trend of thought seems to be that you should be as specific as possible, but I have seen people be admitted and do well who did not have clear ideas, and I myself have really changed my area of focus since I've been in my program, moving from ancient to modern indigenous textiles. Where I think the advice on specificity comes from is that what admin committees DON'T like is someone who doesn't appear to have thought the idea of graduate school through and who doesn't have much experience to back up their choice of field. I think that what needs to come through is the sense that you might not know exactly what you want but that you are getting there and really thinking through your choices. Being honest is always appreciated and it will save you a lot of trouble if you are admitted since your adviser will know what they are getting up front.

I highly recommend Bryn Mawr.

Also, Temple University. Dr. Elizabeth Bolman would be perfect for what you want to study. She focuses on Coptic art but overall she is a great mentor for anyone interested in Early Christian art. I had the pleasure of studying under her and she is AWESOME  http://tyler.temple.edu/faculty/elizabeth-s-bolman-phd

She actually studied at Bryn Mawr and quite a few of her grad students were Bryn Mawr alumni. 

I'm also considering graduate studies in Early Christian art and I'm looking into conservation programs. :)

Edit - I made an account just to post this fyi. So you know how excited I am on this subject!

Edited by SherlockHomes

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!!!

So, here is my final list, along with the professors who I will be working under:

1. Boston University- Deborah Kahn & Fred S. Kleiner (M.A. can turn into a PhD)

2. Bryn Mawr College- Alicia Walker (PhD)

3. Courtauld Insitute- Anthony Eastmond (M.A. 1 year)

4. NYU IFA- Thelma Thomas (M.A. can turn into a PhD)

5. Pennsylvania State University- Anthony Cutler (M.A. can turn into a PhD)

6. University of Edinburgh- Claudia Bolgia (M.A. 1 year)

7. WUSTL- Norris K. Smith (M.A./PhD)

8. Williams College- Peter Low (M.A. 2 years)

9. University of Pennsylvania- Ann Kuttner & Bob Ousterhout (M.A. can turn into a PhD)

So, what do you think? Am I being silly in not adding more back-up schools? 

You need to absolutely write to the people you're interested in working with and make sure they're taking students. Some are on leave, others are retired or near retirement. Anthony Cutler, for example, is 90ish years old. I'm also shocked that Ann Marie Yasin  and Elizabeth Bolman aren't on this list. And unless you've had significant language courses both modern and ancient, I would not shoot for a PhD just yet.