UCLA vs. NYU English

I'm having an incredibly hard time deciding between UCLA and NYU's English Ph.D. programs. I've visited both and think I'm a good fit academically at either (I'm interested in 18th and early 19th C. transatlantic) I didn't like the current students I met at NYU very much, but I know that's totally dependent on the few people I happened to meet. I live in the Northeast right now and moving to LA seems really daunting, plus there's an SO involved who would rather stay in this area. I'm not sure how much weight I should put on the fact that UCLA is much higher ranked ... any advice? (I have full funding offers at both, although UCLA is offering me summer stipends for the first 2 years.)

Both are quality programs. I don't know much about the strengths of these depts in your field, but I know enough to advise you to ignore the rankings (to a point--both are top 30, so I wouldn't worry too much). I hear both are shark tanks. UCLA's dept is the largest in the country, so you're less likely to receive a lot of individual attention. I hear NYU's faculty is pretty divided. Keep in mind this information is based largely on hearsay--I have no direct experience with either dept.

I'm having an incredibly hard time deciding between UCLA and NYU's English Ph.D. programs. I've visited both and think I'm a good fit academically at either (I'm interested in 18th and early 19th C. transatlantic) I didn't like the current students I met at NYU very much, but I know that's totally dependent on the few people I happened to meet. I live in the Northeast right now and moving to LA seems really daunting, plus there's an SO involved who would rather stay in this area. I'm not sure how much weight I should put on the fact that UCLA is much higher ranked ... any advice? (I have full funding offers at both, although UCLA is offering me summer stipends for the first 2 years.)

You seem to answer your own question a few times in here. I'd say they're both equally good, especially if they fit your research interests so well. If you weigh out the other factors beyond quality. It seems like you're divided almost evenly on pros/cons, except your language gives away the likelihood that you're leaning toward NYU anyways. The few jerk students aside, I think NYU's probably a good place for you. You don't have to move far, if at all, your SO will be happy, etc etc.

Go ahead and sign up for NYU.