masters programs geared to prepare students for PhD programs

I had emailed the graduate director of the IR dept of my alma mater inquiring about the program, if it offered internship opportunities in DC (or at for that matter), and basically if it provided an adequate training for a career in foreign service.  This was the response I recieved:

Recent changes to our MA program have occurred.  We are not set up to train students for government service.  Recent budget situations, and a hiring freeze means we no longer have the means to provide this type of training.  There are graduate programs that deal specifically with this type of training - those programs often contain the word "Policy" in the title of the program.  Sorry, but we are not able to provide you this type of education/experience.  Today, our MA program is singularly geared toward producing students qualified for Ph.D. programs.

Obviously this is a bad email to get, but I was thinking, how can an MA in international affairs (relations) that gears students to PhD programs be entirely terrible?  Wouldn't I still technically have a good skillset for finding a job in an IR field or applying to the state dept's foreign service?

Of course. But professional schools could provide you with better career services (resume, mock interview, internship, etc etc). Students are also interested in what you are interested in as well, which could potentially help you a lot. If you don't need career services/great networking opportunities, and are confident to be able to get a job in foreign service, then any graduate degree would be ok.

I had emailed the graduate director of the IR dept of my alma mater inquiring about the program, if it offered internship opportunities in DC (or at for that matter), and basically if it provided an adequate training for a career in foreign service.  This was the response I recieved:

Recent changes to our MA program have occurred.  We are not set up to train students for government service.  Recent budget situations, and a hiring freeze means we no longer have the means to provide this type of training.  There are graduate programs that deal specifically with this type of training - those programs often contain the word "Policy" in the title of the program.  Sorry, but we are not able to provide you this type of education/experience.  Today, our MA program is singularly geared toward producing students qualified for Ph.D. programs.

Obviously this is a bad email to get, but I was thinking, how can an MA in international affairs (relations) that gears students to PhD programs be entirely terrible?  Wouldn't I still technically have a good skillset for finding a job in an IR field or applying to the state dept's foreign service?

Hey Talons, I'd be very curious to know what program this is. If you're not comfortable posting it feel free to pm me, and if you're not comfortable with that, please ignore this message :)

Anyway, yes, like deadhead said while there is some overlap the skill set you would acquire in a professional program and the services it can offer you toward finding a job is quite different.

• 1 month later...

Hey Talons, I'd be very curious to know what program this is. If you're not comfortable posting it feel free to pm me, and if you're not comfortable with that, please ignore this message :)

Anyway, yes, like deadhead said while there is some overlap the skill set you would acquire in a professional program and the services it can offer you toward finding a job is quite different.

Judging on his past posts, it seems that he's referring to the ma in int'l studies program offered at DePaul University.

The FS won't care where you got your degree from or what it's in. A policy degree, however, will be more versatile in other areas of government and outside it.

Does FS = foreign services?