SLP California Applicants for Fall 2014

Ziggy- Yes, no news is a good sign. There has been no postings yet for those schools.

The interviews on March 8th included students for the traditional M.A. Program. However, they may still be having another round of interviews &/or may have had both cohorts interview in the small group interviews (not sure and anything is possible).

I am not sure if Chapman has a portal since I did not apply there myself. Sorry. I was referring to CSULB's portal.

Ziggy- Yes, no news is a good sign. There has been no postings yet for those schools.

The interviews on March 8th included students for the traditional M.A. Program. However, they may still be having another round of interviews &/or may have had both cohorts interview in the small group interviews (not sure and anything is possible).

I am not sure if Chapman has a portal since I did not apply there myself. Sorry. I was referring to CSULB's portal.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this CSULB info from? I'm fairly certain it was just for the cohort, as none of my fellow postbacc students have heard a word about an interview (and you'd think that out of 40 of us, at least one of us would have heard back? haha). I think I'm just anxious to hear back!

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this CSULB info from? I'm fairly certain it was just for the cohort, as none of my fellow postbacc students have heard a word about an interview (and you'd think that out of 40 of us, at least one of us would have heard back? haha). I think I'm just anxious to hear back!

Hey danielle90,

No problem. The whole process of applying and waiting to hear back takes a lot out of us all. I was at the interviews March 8 and applied for the traditional M.A. And a few of my other classmates were there interviewing as well (for the traditional). However, I spoke to my friend who was interviewed later that day who is applying to the special cohort. I am not sure how they designed the interviews or how many days they are/will be scheduling interviews. In my group the two other candidates and I were all from different schools. It could be that they have waves of interviews and maybe mix their undergrads, their post-bacc, and students from other schools to just see the interactions during interviews. I wish I would have thought to ask more about their process.

Hey danielle90,

No problem. The whole process of applying and waiting to hear back takes a lot out of us all. I was at the interviews March 8 and applied for the traditional M.A. And a few of my other classmates were there interviewing as well (for the traditional). However, I spoke to my friend who was interviewed later that day who is applying to the special cohort. I am not sure how they designed the interviews or how many days they are/will be scheduling interviews. In my group the two other candidates and I were all from different schools. It could be that they have waves of interviews and maybe mix their undergrads, their post-bacc, and students from other schools to just see the interactions during interviews. I wish I would have thought to ask more about their process.

Gotcha! That's so strange. Maybe you're right about the waves. I just wish there was some consistency here! Thanks for the insight and best of luck to you, though it sounds like you've gotten some amazing offers so far! 

Thank you. Good luck! I hope we all get to become great SLPs! Especially after all the hard work everyone puts into the application process and course work. Hopefully more schools will start getting back as it gets closer to April.

Chapman has a portal?? I thought it was a CSDCAS application? I submitted my supplemental packet as well but I was emailed or contacted about a student portal.

Yes, they have one. Chapman sent me an email with instructions on how to activate it & they give you a certain period of time to download the instructions. If you go over that time, the instructions disappear (sort of strange & mission impossible-esque, IMO lol!). You should try & contact them or check your spam folder. Something similar happened to me with CSUN. I never got the instructions how to activate my account & had to email different people to figure it out. Finally got the info from the IT help desk.

Anyway, definitely contact them. It's even more nerve wracking because there's a box that's supposed to say Decision Pending or Decision Made. However, you won't know the actual decision until they mail it to you.

Edited by ZIGGY

Thank you! That makes me feel SLIGHTLY better. haha! But it's true, I wish there was more consistency as well! Idk why CA schools take longer than others!

Yes, they have one. Chapman sent me an email with instructions on how to activate it & they give you a certain period of time to download the instructions. If you go over that time, the instructions disappear (sort of strange & mission impossible-esque, IMO lol!). You should try & contact them or check your spam folder. Something similar happened to me with CSUN. I never got the instructions how to activate my account & had to email different people to figure it out. Finally got the info from the IT help desk.

Anyway, definitely contact them. It's even more nerve wracking because there's a box that's supposed to say Decision Pending or Decision Made. However, you won't know the actual decision until they mail it to you.

Ah thank you so much for the info! I did find that email in my junk mail box. I called the school and received instruction on how to access my account. It currently reads "decision pending." That is definitely better than a rejection but I still don't know how to feel as it seems that quite a few people have already gotten invitations for interview. I'm hoping they're giving out interviews in waves! I tried calling the department last week but they may be on spring break since every number I tried went to voicemail. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted to CSULA! My very first acceptance! :) This is my second year applying, and my hard work has finally paid off! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

CONGRATS you got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was gonna ask how your interview went!  Mine I thought went well, my professor who wrote a LOR was actually one of the 2 who interviewed me.  BUT I GOT WAITLISTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  #12!!!!!!!!!  Which means 12/20 have to say no for me to have a chance :( I'm so disappointed. 

Glad you got in though and good to know it was your second time applying, it def paid off!  Did you do you undergrad at CSULA?  And did you interview last yr as well?

Edited by BeckSLPplease

CONGRATS you got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was gonna ask how your interview went! Mine I thought went well, my professor who wrote a LOR was actually one of the 2 who interviewed me. BUT I GOT WAITLISTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. #12!!!!!!!!! Which means 12/20 have to say no for me to have a chance :( I'm so disappointed.

Glad you got in though and good to know it was your second time applying, it def paid off! Did you do you undergrad at CSULA? And did you interview last yr as well?

Thanks! :) I did the post-bac program there. I had an interview last year, and I was #13 on the wait list. My interview this year went well, but last year was meh. I had a death in the family just days before, and I wasn't prepared. I spent the last year gaining experience, I retook my GREs, and I got invaluable advice from a professor. In some ways, I'm glad because I feel even more prepared for grad school. I volunteered at a hospital, and it was awesome; I learned so much!

I'm sorry you got wait listed :/ I know from personal experience that it's tough. But it's not over yet! I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

Thank you!  It's good to know you were in the same boat last year with almost the same waitlist #!  BUt you got in this year! 

If I don't get in this year, I will retake my GRE as well.  ANd plan to get some experience in the field.  I work at the VA hospital, so I am going to connect with the SLPs here.

Maybe I'll see you there next year! 

It's good you go tin this year too because it's the last cohort that will be on the quarter system so you'll be done in 2 years!

Thanks! :) I did the post-bac program there. I had an interview last year, and I was #13 on the wait list. My interview this year went well, but last year was meh. I had a death in the family just days before, and I wasn't prepared. I spent the last year gaining experience, I retook my GREs, and I got invaluable advice from a professor. In some ways, I'm glad because I feel even more prepared for grad school. I volunteered at a hospital, and it was awesome; I learned so much!
I'm sorry you got wait listed :/ I know from personal experience that it's tough. But it's not over yet! I sincerely hope it all works out for you.

FYI, I just checked the COMD website at CSULB for the special cohort and it says they extended the application deadline for the special cohort to June 1st!  That means if applications aren't due until then, they def won't have decisions until end of June.  What is one to do if they get in somewhere but want CSULB?  I wish I were so lucky to have that happen, but CSULB special cohort is my 1st choice.

Anyone know--do San Jose State, Sacramento, Fresno or CSUEB do interviews? I'm hoping not, as these are the schools I'm waiting to hear from and none have interviewed me... :mellow:

Anyone know--do San Jose State, Sacramento, Fresno or CSUEB do interviews? I'm hoping not, as these are the schools I'm waiting to hear from and none have interviewed me... :mellow:

Neither SJSU nor East Bay do interviews. I'm not sure about the other two.

Anyone hear from CSULB?  I see some decisions made already and I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm not sure how/when we'll know.

I checked my status on their website. If you go to the admissions page, you can click on, "Applicant Self-Service" and check your status from there. I haven't received anything from the department.

I keep checking there just it just says forwarded to the department.  They extended the special cohort application date to June 1st though.  I just read it on their website.

I checked my status on their website. If you go to the admissions page, you can click on, "Applicant Self-Service" and check your status from there. I haven't received anything from the department.

I got accepted to CSULA! My very first acceptance! :) This is my second year applying, and my hard work has finally paid off! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

CONGRATULATIONS! that must be such a weight lifted off your shoulders & you must be so ecstatic...especially this being your 2nd year applying! (I may need some tips from you, if I don't get in anywhere this year!)