Is Magoosh worth it vs. books and free materials?

elsiefrew

Hello all,

I've got one month before the GRE and a need to relearn and drill math fundamentals for the quant. section, badly.  Like, what do I do with square roots again??  

Currently, I have the official ETS guide and Manhattan vocab flashcards, but need more basic explanations of quantitative concepts.  Also, having someone else tell me what to study and when is helpful (like the Magoosh study plans).

Magoosh is very appealing to me but at $100 it would exponentially increase (ha!) what I'm investing in the GRE already.  Any similarly high quality alternatives out there that I'm ignoring?   Guess I could go for $80 for just the math, but maybe that is silly.  Reasonable or no, I'm not concerned about the verbal section.

I'm only applying to one program and need a good score but am not really concerned about being ELITE as far as the GRE is concerned.  

Tips, advice, what math resources are the best?

I really liked magoosh. They go into a lot of detail in many concepts, plus there are video explanations for every problem. I think Magoosh undercharges, honestly.

my advice is to rent all 8 of the manhattan books from chegg.com. in addition to that, study the free magoosh vocab flashcards. the flashcards they have are unreal in their effectiveness. they use a computer program to show you the cards you dont know and not the ones you do..it is sure to make you elarn them.

on chegg all 8 manhattan books are 64 bucks.

my advice is to rent all 8 of the manhattan books from chegg.com. in addition to that, study the free magoosh vocab flashcards. the flashcards they have are unreal in their effectiveness. they use a computer program to show you the cards you dont know and not the ones you do..it is sure to make you elarn them.

on chegg all 8 manhattan books are 64 bucks.

I agree, except do not buy the Manhattan Text completion book, as it is full of low frequency vocab words.    If you only have one month, watch as many Magoosh math videos as possible, take a practice test every few days, study magoosh's vocab list, as well as the combined Kaplin/Barrons 1589 words on quizlet.  You don't need to do magoosh's verbal videos, only their practice questions.  Follow either barrons basic book or Manhattan's for the AW.  The 5lb book of GRE questions by Manhattan is only 14 bucks online.   DO not opt for Barrons 69 dollar GRE online, as their tests were easier than the real GRE.  

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the Magoosh math videos coupled with their questions and the Manhattan 5lb book can propel your quant scores to near perfect (or even perfect) ! To make your study more effective, watch all the Magoosh videos on a topic and then solve the Magoosh and Manhattan 5lb book questions.

I had studied from these sources and scored a 167 on the quant section.

And 100$ for Magoosh is a good investment, considering that you'll have to spend nearly double that amount if your scores don't match up to your expectations and you wish to retake the exam.