Applying to PhD in English: is my score good enough?

BunnyWantsaPhD

I'm sure this question is getting annoying by now, but I just wanted some thoughts on wether or not I should retake the GRE. I took it last week and got the same score I got last year = beyond frustrating. My verbal was 158 and my math was 147. I'm not too worried about the math score, but I know that my verbal being in the 77th percentile is not good. 

On the practice tests my verbal ranged from 155-167, so I don't know how likely it is that I will do better. Any thoughts? 

I'm in a similar position as you.  I'm applying to PhD programs in English and my Verbal is pretty much at 158.  I've actually practice-tested as high as 163, but it has not been consistent, and most of the time my score is at 157/158/159 or so.  

I think your score (and my score) is okay as long as you're not mostly targeting Harvard, U of Chicago, Berkeley, and the like.  

My advisor knows my GRE score, and I told her, "assuming it doesn't budge from about 78% percentile, where do you think I should apply?"

She named middle-rank schools mostly.  

I'm re-taking the GRE on Friday (10/11) and I have a strong feeling my score will not budge.  I'll find out soon enough.  

Unless you think you can score a lot better, I don't see any point in re-taking.  Just work on the rest of your application and be hopeful and confident.  

What prep materials are you using? I've found that Kaplan and Princeton Review, especially, tend to make the practice too easy. I had luck with Barron's (used hard copy books). 

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking and I think that I will retake it because I want to try to put the best application forward and I just don't feel comfortable with my score. I know that my score might not change, but I gotta try. Also, I am applying to mostly schools in the top 40 (most of them in the top 20-25), so I know my scores need to be better. 

I was using Princeton Review, so maybe it was too easy? I tried at least one of the free tests from ETS and did alright, if I recall. I'll have to get some more prep. 

Oh, and Antigone, good luck on your 2nd test! 

Edited by BunnyWantsaPhD

As a point of reference, my GRE was 160 verbal (84%) and quant was 147. I applied widely, and got multiple funded offers. I did not get into either top 10 program that I applied to. But then again, I didn't get into 66% of the places where I applied, so I don't think the Top 10 rejections were really about the test results. 

If you've taken it two years running and gotten the same score, I probably wouldn't retake it. 

We all know top programs are a stretch for anyone in any circumstance, and I think the only problem you might run up against are thresholds where programs say applicants must hit 160 (that's the one I saw most often...used to be 600 on the old scale). But there's probably some wiggle room there since you're so close. I think it's far more important to spend your time developing your writing samples and producing a compelling statement of purpose than it is to spend more time and $$$ on two GRE verbal points. 

Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth, and good luck with your applications. 

As a point of reference, my GRE was 160 verbal (84%) and quant was 147. I applied widely, and got multiple funded offers. I did not get into either top 10 program that I applied to. But then again, I didn't get into 66% of the places where I applied, so I don't think the Top 10 rejections were really about the test results. 

If you've taken it two years running and gotten the same score, I probably wouldn't retake it. 

We all know top programs are a stretch for anyone in any circumstance, and I think the only problem you might run up against are thresholds where programs say applicants must hit 160 (that's the one I saw most often...used to be 600 on the old scale). But there's probably some wiggle room there since you're so close. I think it's far more important to spend your time developing your writing samples and producing a compelling statement of purpose than it is to spend more time and $$$ on two GRE verbal points. 

Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth, and good luck with your applications. 

I definitely understand this point of view, as it was mine not to long ago. My issue is that a lot of the schools I'm applying to seem to have that cut off of 160 or, actually higher sometimes. The more people I talk to the more I hear that my scores are just mediocre or that they will only get me into mid-tier schools. I'd just hate to shoot myself in the foot by not trying one more time. Believe me, I don't want to spend the time or the money on this damn thing, but I'd also like to get into a school that I really want to go to. Here's to hoping I do better? Ugh. 

I support your giving it one more shot.  I myself am giving it another shot (I took it last year in July, didn't apply anywhere in the fall ultimately, but not because of the GRE score).  Gonna try it again this year (on Friday).  If it improves, wonderful.  If not, I think I'm done trying.  I'd still apply but just with the mediocre scores.

You're in a slightly more pressured position than I am, though, as I'm not targeting the top schools, at least not mostly.  I'm applying across the full spectrum in terms of "ranking."  

I still feel pressure, though.  Just a few more days before I know!  Thanks for the wish of good luck.  To you too.

I would recommend using the Manhattan prep books.  These confronted the way that I approach EVERY question (and type!).  In this way, they introduce you to identifying what kind of question you are answering (especially important for reading passages - cuts your time greatly).  This isn't to say that you need to constantly know what kind of question you are answering, but, it becomes a part of your subconscious that is MUCH more productive while in test mode.

Furthermore, they actually have HARDER questions than what you'd see on the GRE.  I went back to Barron's prep software yesterday and found myself getting every question right!  I still have to retake the GRE (in early November), but I have a feeling that my score will move at least a little bit (and uhhhh, here's hoping).

I would suggest retaking the test but sticking with ETS's material especially if you are struggling with reading comp.  The first time I took the test, I studied with MGRE and Magoosh, and although they were helpful, I thought the questions on the test was significantly different from what I was used to, and my result reflected that.  My verbal score was abysmal and quite frankly shameful.  I studied for about a month using almost exclusively ETS's bigbook and received a 161 (87th percentile). I don't know if you have time to purchase the big book at this point - it's also very pricy.  If not, you might be able to find downloadable version online.  Even though the big book features the old GRE, if reading comp is your problem, this book will surely help.  However, you have to be ready to think about why you got the answer right or wrong for every single question.  This would allow you to notice a pattern in the way ETS phrases questions and right or wrong answers.

Good luck.

One last thing: consider some meditation and visualization exercises. Someone turned me on to this a long time ago in a different context. I visualized a perfect verbal score again and again and wound up with a 168 on my second GRE try-- about 4 points higher than I was averaging on prep. 

You need to understand that you can get an outstanding score, and picture it as if it has already happened.

The mind is super powerful.

You can do it!

Edited by quicksilver

How many apps would constitute applying widely.  I have considered playing the numbers game, since PHD admissions are so competitive, so I'm not sure how many apps to stop at.  

One last thing: consider some meditation and visualization exercises. Someone turned me on to this a long time ago in a different context. I visualized a perfect verbal score again and again and wound up with a 168 on my second GRE try-- about 4 points higher than I was averaging on prep. 

You need to understand that you can get an outstanding score, and picture it as if it has already happened.

The mind is super powerful.

You can do it!

Good advice! I'm going to try it out! I'll keep you guys posted!

How many apps would constitute applying widely.  I have considered playing the numbers game, since PHD admissions are so competitive, so I'm not sure how many apps to stop at.  

awells--

I am a sadist. I applied to 16 schools. I think most people apply to 6-10, maybe 12. It was a TON of work and very stressful, but I wanted to give myself the best shot since I'm a bit older than most students and waiting a year to reapply would not have been ideal. I'm not sure I recommend this approach to others. It was expensive, but in the end I did have options--and good ones at that.

The final breakdown was something like: 7 rejections, 3 admits (no funding), 1 waitlist, 4 fully funded offers.*

*I know this doesn't equal 16. One school I applied to (Northern Illinois) never notified me of my application status. I exchanged e-mails with their program director, and he told me that they had my files and the decision would come within a week. Two weeks later, nothing, so I e-mailed again and got the same response. When a few more weeks passed with not a word, I took that as a sign of the program's general character (disorganized and unresponsive), and crossed them off my list. So buyer beware on Northern Illinois (if that's even on your list). 

Good luck with your application process!

Rachel

I'm applying to 12.  I feel comfortable with that number.  As recently as five days ago, I thought about reducing it to 8 or 9, because of expense, but my boyfriend said he'd contribute $500 to my efforts (and another friend of mine is contributing $200) and that I should keep it at 12.  He wants me to get in.  Not that 12 means I will get in, but you know, one feels like one has a better chance if one applies to a bunch.

A few weeks ago, for whatever reason, I was having these thoughts of getting into 4 or 5 programs.  But now I'm really feeling the competition/heat, and thus thinking.....just one.  Give me just one.  

P.S. I'm really lucky to have the boyfriend and the friend (who makes 80K per year) helping me financially.  They're really on my side.  If it weren't for them, I'd only be applying to about 6.  

Officially signed up to retake the GRE. Bought the Manhattan prep books. Got three weeks to study. It seems so improbable that anything is going to change, but I'm giving it a shot. Has anyone studied in such a short time with these books and done better? Let's hope so. 

awells--

I am a sadist. I applied to 16 schools. I think most people apply to 6-10, maybe 12. It was a TON of work and very stressful, but I wanted to give myself the best shot since I'm a bit older than most students and waiting a year to reapply would not have been ideal. I'm not sure I recommend this approach to others. It was expensive, but in the end I did have options--and good ones at that.

The final breakdown was something like: 7 rejections, 3 admits (no funding), 1 waitlist, 4 fully funded offers.*

*I know this doesn't equal 16. One school I applied to (Northern Illinois) never notified me of my application status. I exchanged e-mails with their program director, and he told me that they had my files and the decision would come within a week. Two weeks later, nothing, so I e-mailed again and got the same response. When a few more weeks passed with not a word, I took that as a sign of the program's general character (disorganized and unresponsive), and crossed them off my list. So buyer beware on Northern Illinois (if that's even on your list). 

Good luck with your application process!

Rachel

Wow, I'm only applying to 8 so far.  I should maybe up it to 10 and pray hard.  All my app stuff is strong, but, well, . . . . .you get it.   What degree did you apply for? 

I'm applying to 12.  I feel comfortable with that number.  As recently as five days ago, I thought about reducing it to 8 or 9, because of expense, but my boyfriend said he'd contribute $500 to my efforts (and another friend of mine is contributing $200) and that I should keep it at 12.  He wants me to get in.  Not that 12 means I will get in, but you know, one feels like one has a better chance if one applies to a bunch.

A few weeks ago, for whatever reason, I was having these thoughts of getting into 4 or 5 programs.  But now I'm really feeling the competition/heat, and thus thinking.....just one.  Give me just one.  

P.S. I'm really lucky to have the boyfriend and the friend (who makes 80K per year) helping me financially.  They're really on my side.  If it weren't for them, I'd only be applying to about 6.  

Actually, each school is an independent probability, so upping the number is not really increasing our chances, but it definitely makes us feel more secure.  I don't think I can handle more than 10; these SOPs are the hardest part.  Every sentence is so critical.  

Has anyone studied in such a short time with these books and done better? Let's hope so. 

If you add the 5lb book and practice the questions under timed conditions.  Manhattan is math strong, so you will need one more resource for verbal practice.  With the amount of time you have left, I would just get Kaplin's verbal book; ignore the comments on Amazon; it's good enough.   Generally practice under timed conditions.  

Edited by awells27

Hey, just wanted to put my two cents in. I almost exclusively studied with Barron's 500 vocab cards. I think knowing so many words (what they really mean, as opposed to how I use them) helped a lot. There were subtle differences that meant the difference between success or not when I took the test. I would invest in the flash cards and if you can go through them all, great! Otherwise, learn the words. This was the advice given to me by my friend who also scored very high on the verbal.

Thanks for the advice. I have kaplan's 500 vocab flashcards. I thought I knew 425 of them for the test when I took it at the beginning of the month and that didn't seem to help. I can't imagine that the other 75 were my detriment. Though, I'll be studying them again to see what I can do! 

Wow, I'm only applying to 8 so far.  I should maybe up it to 10 and pray hard.  All my app stuff is strong, but, well, . . . . .you get it.   What degree did you apply for? 

I don't think 8 is all that unreasonable. That's probably pretty average. Remember, I clearly drove myself crazy. If you've got the money and two more won't tax your sanity, then it might be worth it, but if you're confident then I wouldn't worry too much about how much difference the extra two make. 

I'm also not very familiar with admissions practices/competitiveness for your program, so your mileage may vary on my advice. What is normal for English Lit might not be for religious studies. (That's what my degree is, btw--British Lit with focus on 21st century lit and contemporary critical theory).

Best of luck to you!