SOP: Should I explain a D in my transcript?

Hi All,

I am working on my SOP for my grad school and really struggling on whether I should explain a D in my sophomore year. Here is my story. Honestly, I did OK in that course(The course is a math course. It's a required courses but not really relevant to my major, ECE). However, my teammate submitted others' homework and claimed to be his. Since I was in the group, the professor decided me to be guilty. He told me that the record will remain University's archive but no one will disclose it. Now I am working on my grad application and I am worrying about this. Should I be honest and expose this experience or just skip it in my SOP? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Freelanzer

@Lisa44201, Thank you for your reply. Actually there were only two people in the group, me and my classmate. That semester was a disaster for me. I was able to catch up in the following semesters though. Will the committee weigh my junior year and senior year more than the first two years?

That will vary by program; for the most part, I believe the answer is yes. Ace the rest of your classes, keep your cumulative GPA up, and prove that it was a fluke. Your SOP should focus on why you are a good fit for a specific person's lab.