Am I being realistic?

cutterroberts

Hello!

I was wondering if I was being relaistic in applying for programs given my current standing:

3.96 UG GPA / 4.0 Grad; Junior/Senior and Psych GPA was 4.0.

GRE: 161V 158Q (87th and 72nd percentile), 5.5 Writing

Master's degree was in Family Psychology, which was a hybrid program. No thesis required but I did have clinicals. I had 250 hours of experience providing therapy and assessment.

Research: My school did not have research "labs," but I did have the opportunity to design and work on individual research projects. I worked on 2 as an undergraduate (nothing published), and 1 during my time in graduate school. The one in graduate school I did individually; I devleoped a brief program for the treatment of test anxiety in a group setting. I have presented this research as a poster, and am working on a manuscript that I feel will be publishable. This is my main concern; even though I do not have "lab" experience, I feel like my research experiences are still competitive, but know that i may be mistaken in thinking this.

Experience: The past year I have been working as a psychometrist and counselor at a neuropsycology clinic. I also have an intern LPC license, and would have a full license by the time Fall 2014 rolls around. I've also taught Intro to Psych, and will be teaching a section of Psychologcal Testing in the Spring of 2014.

I am applying to a combination of Counseling and Clinical Programs: Baylor, UTSW, UNT, Texas Tech, OSU, OU and LT. I've been looking at schools that have faculty with interests in my areas of interes (anxiety research (especially ACT), depression research, and assessment), rather than exclusively clincal and counseling, and am very fortunate to have so many close to me.  Last year I applied to only 3 schools (Baylor, UTSW, and SMU). I had interviews at Baylor and UTSW, but was not accepted or waitlisted.

Am I being realistic in thinking that my current profile is competitive for these schools, or is this some pipe dream that I am wandering into?

Edited by cutterroberts

I personally think you're competitive. Lack of research experience may be a hindrance w/r/t Clinical programs; you might want to add a few Master's programs to the mix, too, unless you have a lab nearby where you can volunteer.