GPA Too Low?

TheCrow

I'm graduating next fall and currently have about a 3.4. I'm majoring in econ/math and I'm taking the graduate methods sequence in sociology right now (at a top 40 sociology program). Is a 3.4 high enough to be considered, or will my application be cut before it's read?

Econ and math majors get extra weight because they're almost uniformly harder than sociology undergraduate programs.  If you got a couple bad grades in courses like Abstract Algebra that are dragging your GPA down, or if you have some bad grades from early in college when you were still figuring things out, you don't have to worry.  You will need strong letters and people with some kind of tangential connection to sociological-ish research to write in confirming that it is a good topical fit for you.  Feel free to PM me for more help.

I had around a 3.4 UG GPA (also not in sociology), and I got in to multiple programs.  Granted, I was not straight out of UG, so I'm not sure how much my GPA really mattered in the grand scheme of things.  I tried to focus on rocking the GRE since I knew my GPA was a bit low (and I could still "affect" my GRE score - my GPA was out of my hands, lol), and I spent a lot of time on the rest of my application to make sure the GPA was outweighed by the rest of the "package."  If you are aiming for top schools, I'd say you might need the rest of your application to be a bit better to offset the GPA (research experience, GRE, SOP, whatever).  But, hardly anyone has a perfect application; almost everyone has some weak spot.  So, it is not something I'd worry too much about.  If you have a good fit with the university and your application is strong overall, I think a 3.4 won't limit your options.

I had around a 3.4 UG GPA (also not in sociology), and I got in to multiple programs.  Granted, I was not straight out of UG, so I'm not sure how much my GPA really mattered in the grand scheme of things.  I tried to focus on rocking the GRE since I knew my GPA was a bit low (and I could still "affect" my GRE score - my GPA was out of my hands, lol), and I spent a lot of time on the rest of my application to make sure the GPA was outweighed by the rest of the "package."  If you are aiming for top schools, I'd say you might need the rest of your application to be a bit better to offset the GPA (research experience, GRE, SOP, whatever).  But, hardly anyone has a perfect application; almost everyone has some weak spot.  So, it is not something I'd worry too much about.  If you have a good fit with the university and your application is strong overall, I think a 3.4 won't limit your options.

What were your GRE scores?

What were your GRE scores?

Mine were 165/165/5.0.  But, I will say that I also know people with similar GPAs that got in to very good schools with lower GREs than mine.  I don't feel like there is a cut and dry "formula" for GPA/GRE combos... but certainly, having one of them be high can help keep you "in the pile" at top schools.

Mine were 165/165/5.0.  But, I will say that I also know people with similar GPAs that got in to very good schools with lower GREs than mine.  I don't feel like there is a cut and dry "formula" for GPA/GRE combos... but certainly, having one of them be high can help keep you "in the pile" at top schools.

I'm taking the GRE on Saturday. My GPA is 3.73, which isn't terrible but it isn't amazing either. I'm hoping just to be in 80th percentiles or higher on all 3 sections. *crosses fingers and cuddles her vocab flash cards*

Edited by KrisOfSteel

I'm taking the GRE on Saturday. My GPA is 3.73, which isn't terrible but it isn't amazing either. I'm hoping just to be in 80th percentiles or higher on all 3 sections. *crosses fingers and cuddles her vocab flash cards*

Good luck!  Vocab was my weakest area going in to the GRE, so those flashcards definitely became my friend.  Lol.  I think 80th percentile is a great goal because I remember seeing a few top schools' websites indicate that they considered "strong" GRE scores to be 80th percentile or higher.

Good luck!  Vocab was my weakest area going in to the GRE, so those flashcards definitely became my friend.  Lol.  I think 80th percentile is a great goal because I remember seeing a few top schools' websites indicate that they considered "strong" GRE scores to be 80th percentile or higher.

Thanks! I'm just trying to be realistic. If I didn't work full-time and had another few weeks to prepare I could probably aim for 90th but I'll be happy with 80th and ecstatic with 90th.