Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

I dont, it was last Wednesday. They said I could expect a letter in a week.

Good luck! 

Thanks...I hope I also de get a reply soon....with 2 Nobel laureates in their faculty now, they certainly are a very strong dept!

I didn't hear from MIT either today. Just a question, are you guys fellow P-chemists? It seems that some departments sort through the different subdivisions first. Maybe MIT shuffled through the organic people? I dunno. I applied as a "well 1% is still a chance!" I'm not getting my hopes up since CalTech toyed with my heart, alluded to me getting in, then rejected me. Not gonna let MIT do that too.

I'm going for Pchem. In my application, I mentioned two faculty from the chem department and one from the DMSE.

I heard from a professor at USC on the 7th (while I was en route to my interview at Einstein no less) with an email from the department the following day.   Visits are February 21/22, March 7/8, and March 28/29 2014.  They offered me a stipend of about 27k and 1k to relocate.

I also got an official letter (pdf) from Caltech on the 6th.  They offered at least 30k and 750 to relocate.  I assume more detailed funding will come later. 

Still waiting to hear from UCLA.  I sent them an inquiry at the beginning of the week and haven't heard anything.  Hope things are going well for everyone! 

Batting 0/2 here so far. Just got rejected from Weill Cornell Medical College for biophysics yesterday (not chemistry, but I thought I'd share). I wasn't extremely excited about their program, so that may have come across in my personal statement, considering I was only interested in 2 PIs there and I applied last-minute. Waiting on Penn and Yale, but not keeping my hopes up for this year  :unsure:

I heard from a professor at USC on the 7th (while I was en route to my interview at Einstein no less) with an email from the department the following day.   Visits are February 21/22, March 7/8, and March 28/29 2014.  They offered me a stipend of about 27k and 1k to relocate.

I also got an official letter (pdf) from Caltech on the 6th.  They offered at least 30k and 750 to relocate.  I assume more detailed funding will come later. 

Still waiting to hear from UCLA.  I sent them an inquiry at the beginning of the week and haven't heard anything.  Hope things are going well for everyone! 

Congrats!! That's awesome news. I'm still waiting to hear back from Caltech and UCLA. I guess they do international applicants later. Did you have an interview with Caltech, btw? 

Batting 0/2 here so far. Just got rejected from Weill Cornell Medical College for biophysics yesterday (not chemistry, but I thought I'd share). I wasn't extremely excited about their program, so that may have come across in my personal statement, considering I was only interested in 2 PIs there and I applied last-minute. Waiting on Penn and Yale, but not keeping my hopes up for this year  :unsure:

Good to know another applicant interested in Biophysics. Waiting for Yale too, it seems to me that Biophysical track often come after the other tracks, don't loose spirit so soon. 

Good to know another applicant interested in Biophysics. Waiting for Yale too, it seems to me that Biophysical track often come after the other tracks, don't loose spirit so soon. 

For Yale I actually mentioned two groups interested in solar energy (physical), and one group from the biophysics department. I'm interested in renewable energy projects, but my undergrad research has been in biophysical chemistry/biophysics (still interested in). I hope I don't come across as not specific enough with respect to my goals.

Anyway, I heard Yale should have another wave of decisions this coming week; probably the final batch. That part is just my guess ,but I heard from multiple people that they will be making more decisions next week.

For Yale I actually mentioned two groups interested in solar energy (physical), and one group from the biophysics department. I'm interested in renewable energy projects, but my undergrad research has been in biophysical chemistry/biophysics (still interested in). I hope I don't come across as not specific enough with respect to my goals.

Anyway, I heard Yale should have another wave of decisions this coming week; probably the final batch. That part is just my guess ,but I heard from multiple people that they will be making more decisions next week.

Sweet, thanks for the info. 

I am not sure about the proper level of specificity one need, but biophys/and quan chem was my research focus for more than two years and I cannot avoid being very specific. In Yale I aimed for computational and structural groups. Since the back to back rejection from Stanford and MIT, staying positive has gotten harder, but there is still hope in me at least the force is still with me. 

Giving up already? There are still good schools taking last-minute applications. Maybe not to ivy league schools, but you still have time to apply to, for example, UC Irvine and Purdue.

Congrats!! That's awesome news. I'm still waiting to hear back from Caltech and UCLA. I guess they do international applicants later. Did you have an interview with Caltech, btw? 

Thanks!  The only interview I had was for Einstein (a biomedical sciences program--I want to do structural bio).  The others have all been acceptances with visit weekends, though I do tangentially know someone who got his acceptance revoked by Caltech a few years ago for not taking the visit seriously.  Interviews seem to be common for international applicants though.  Best of luck! 

Thanks!  The only interview I had was for Einstein (a biomedical sciences program--I want to do structural bio).  The others have all been acceptances with visit weekends, though I do tangentially know someone who got his acceptance revoked by Caltech a few years ago for not taking the visit seriously.  Interviews seem to be common for international applicants though.  Best of luck! 

That's reassuring on some levels! Thanks for the info. 

For those waiting on Penn, I just declined my offer of admission there. Good luck to all still waiting, and I hope one of you can grab my spot! 

I'm about to do the same. Did you just send them an email? Or is there a link to where we accept/decline an offer?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else gotten in to MIT? I got a call from a professor there mentioned in my SOP who I want to work for telling me I had been accepted on Feb 1st, but since then I haven't gotten any news about stipends or anything else. I'm kinda freaking out thinking they made a mistake or something? I'm probably just being impatient, right?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else gotten in to MIT? I got a call from a professor there mentioned in my SOP who I want to work for telling me I had been accepted on Feb 1st, but since then I haven't gotten any news about stipends or anything else. I'm kinda freaking out thinking they made a mistake or something? I'm probably just being impatient, right?

Lol. They notified me by phone call first and then a few days later sent an email and then sent a letter in the mail. Just be patient. I'm sure it's not a mistake. Congrats!

Will it be detrimental to my application if I call MIT and ask when decisions will be made? There's another quite good school whose profs are encouraging me to visit, but their visit weekend is the same weekend as MIT's...

Will it be detrimental to my application if I call MIT and ask when decisions will be made? There's another quite good school whose profs are encouraging me to visit, but their visit weekend is the same weekend as MIT's...

It seems unlikely that they would hold it against you. "Oh, he's impatient. No way he'll make a good chemist. Rejected." I just don't see it playing out like that. I say, give me a call!

Lol. They notified me by phone call first and then a few days later sent an email and then sent a letter in the mail. Just be patient. I'm sure it's not a mistake. Congrats!

When did you get your mailed letter? I got my email like 10 days ago, but still haven't got the mail. Thanks!

When did you get your mailed letter? I got my email like 10 days ago, but still haven't got the mail. Thanks!

I don't remember. 3 or 4 days after the email. If you live out of the country, I would imagine it would take a little longer.

I sent an email to the graduate coordinator. I don't know about any links, though there might be one somewhere.

Yeah actually they just sent the official acceptance letter where you can click to accept/decline the offer.