Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Graduate students are easy to talk to, but sometimes they seemed not to know what they were going to do, and their goals. 

This is the exact reason why i visited the school for physical/theoretical chem last year and declined my offer.  Be sure you guys feel motivated by your future colleagues!

Hey, Is there any international student who has still a pending status on Ohio state application and has not been interviewed as yet??? The gradcafe data indicates that a number of american as well as international candidates have received rejections from OSU... does that indicate that I may be on the waitlist??

Just found out I'm on the waitlist at Vanderbilt. To anyone who has been accepted there and will not be attending: Please let them know ASAP so us wait listens have a chance. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on schools.

This is the exact reason why i visited the school for physical/theoretical chem last year and declined my offer.  Be sure you guys feel motivated by your future colleagues!

Where are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

I'm visiting at Colorado State right now. I applied for the biochem program though and not chemistry.

Gotcha thanks for the response. Emailed them a couple weeks back and said i should receive an answer by now. Oh well just gonna have to keep checking.

End of the month, still 3 schools left! !@#$%#^@$%&%^&#@$%@~!@##$%@$%^

Wat's taking so long?? lol

I definitely feel you. I guess it's better than being rejected, though. I was really hoping to go to Austin, but it's getting pretty late in the game now ...

Edited by MaudDib

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from UNC? I'm starting to wonder if my application got lost or something. There's still no decision listed online, and this page suggests that decisions should have been made in February.  :unsure:

Hey, I have some questions about visiting days and small vs large programs.  I visited a small program that enrolls 10-12 new PhD  first year students a year.  I expected that they offered some 15-20 students or more, to fill 10-12 spots. They are ranked about 70-80.  Like me, I would guess many/most of their acceptees have choices.   But there were only 6 at visiting weekend.  They only have one weekend for formal

I am visiting a large program ranked 25-35 who enrolls 50ish new PhD first year students a year.  They also have one formal weekend and one "other" weekend.  How many can I expect will visit?  Do lots of students visit outside of formal visitation days?  Do some accept without visiting at all? 

Thanks

Hey, I have some questions about visiting days and small vs large programs.  I visited a small program that enrolls 10-12 new PhD  first year students a year.  I expected that they offered some 15-20 students or more, to fill 10-12 spots. They are ranked about 70-80.  Like me, I would guess many/most of their acceptees have choices.   But there were only 6 at visiting weekend.  They only have one weekend for formal

I am visiting a large program ranked 25-35 who enrolls 50ish new PhD first year students a year.  They also have one formal weekend and one "other" weekend.  How many can I expect will visit?  Do lots of students visit outside of formal visitation days?  Do some accept without visiting at all? 

Thanks

It depends, you can ask the school admission coordinator, it is not something they keep secret from you. Some visit before or after, there are even some that may happen in early April if you are on the wait list or something like that, and they do accept some without visiting, even some domestic students. Schools usually offer more than the spots they have for example if they have 15 spots they probably gives offers to 20-25 people. 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from UNC? I'm starting to wonder if my application got lost or something. There's still no decision listed online, and this page suggests that decisions should have been made in February.  :unsure:

I have just got accepted at UNC (official acceptance to follow).

This has nothing to do with grad apps, just pulled an all night to write my lab report for my instruments class, and prepare my oral defense for my senior project....... I am super tired....and Georgia tech still hash't responded lol! 

In other news Just got my official offer from OSU, 30K stipend! :) :)

Eggcited!

Hi future chemists, 

Does anyone know about any updated news from Wisconsin? I know that they had the first visiting weekend, but haven't sent big reject mails to the students. Hope they are still not making all decisions... 

Just found out I'm on the waitlist at Vanderbilt. To anyone who has been accepted there and will not be attending: Please let them know ASAP so us wait listens have a chance. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on schools.

I just submitted my decline -- hope you get my spot!! 

I called GA-tech, only a few final offers are being mad this week. That's it. After that it is all wait list :(

This is correct. Talked to the Grad coordinator and he basically said the same. He did say that those decisions would likely be based off the recommendation of specific professors. Good luck!