Seminaries

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience about getting an MA from a seminary. I'm considering going to Union Theological Seminary in New York for my MA, and then proceeding to a PHD program at a Divinity School or academic program. I want to study religion, and on the one hand I feel like Union seems to be very well-respected, and would be a great place to get a firm grounding in the Western theological tradition. On the other I'm a little worried that there might be some bias in PHD programs against someone applying with an MA from a seminary. It's totally possible this bias is in my head, but, does anyone have any first hand experience, either with a seminary like Union, or with the atmosphere in university graduate programs towards the academic quality of seminary graduate programs?

Thanks!

- C

I have a Master's in Theology from Harvard and I do not think it has prevented further study. Many PhD students go through a Master's program at a divinity school first or seminary first. Union is respected so I think it would be fine.