When to stop practicing...

Is there a point where over-practicing (with constant mediocre results) simply becomes too demoralizing and one would be better off stepping away and maintaining some semblance of hope in one self as regards this damn test? At this point I doubt more practice will help, especially considering that throughout the past month my results have been fairly constant week-to-week on practice tests. I take the test next week. 

Full disclosure: I already have an MA in my field (4.00 GPA), two publications, and a conference presentation, and have made several connections at the universities to which I will apply. Thus, I find it hard to believe that a less than stellar GRE score is going to sink my ship. Is any one else experiencing a similar problem? This is not one of snobbery but, rather, a simple, practical belief that if one has already shown themselves to be more than up to the task of graduate work in their field, the GRE score becomes utterly superfluous. 

Is there a point where over-practicing (with constant mediocre results) simply becomes too demoralizing and one would be better off stepping away and maintaining some semblance of hope in one self as regards this damn test? At this point I doubt more practice will help, especially considering that throughout the past month my results have been fairly constant week-to-week on practice tests. I take the test next week. 

Full disclosure: I already have an MA in my field (4.00 GPA), two publications, and a conference presentation, and have made several connections at the universities to which I will apply. Thus, I find it hard to believe that a less than stellar GRE score is going to sink my ship. Is any one else experiencing a similar problem? This is not one of snobbery but, rather, a simple, practical belief that if one has already shown themselves to be more than up to the task of graduate work in their field, the GRE score becomes utterly superfluous. 

I would never assume anything is "utterly superfluous."  If you're starting to burn out and getting the same results each time, consider what type of questions you are getting wrong, allocate some time to reviewing principles and simple exercises, and then practice under timed conditions.  Many believe that Manhattan's 5lb book was excellent prep before the test, since it gives such detailed answer explanations.  Of course the GRE will not sink your application, but you should approach the test as if it is critically important, but not to the point of stressing out.   You never know who will be evaluating your app; hopefully it will be a professor who thinks as much about the GRE as you do.   

I can relate to what you're saying.  I also have an M.A. in my field already (graduated in 2011).  I have taken the GRE a total of three times since early 2008.  

My Verbal score in 2008 was 154.  That was good enough for the M.A. program I got into (I had a strong writing sample and SOP, plus my M.A. school, which is the same as my B.A. school, is far from elite).  I re-took the GRE last year in July, thinking I might apply to PhD programs or a second and different M.A. program in a different field (none of which I ultimately applied to), and scored a 155 on Verbal.  Then, a few days ago, I took the GRE again and got a 157 Verbal.  

So...154 in 2008.  155 in 2012.  157 in 2013.  

My vocabulary is more than respectable for someone with a Master's degree and someone who cares about words, language, and literacy.  But my brain just doesn't work well -- at least not in the time frame one is given for the GRE -- for the reading comprehension questions.  I've tried a lot of different tricks and approaches, and still my score (over five years) went only from 154 to 157.  (I have practice-tested higher, mind you, but what does that matter when my actual test scores are right there in the 150s, regardless of what practice tests score me?)

I'm glad, at least, that my last GRE effort was on the high side of the 150s.  And I'm just gonna go with it, even if it will be a weak link in my PhD applications.  But I am "done" when it comes to the GRE, at least for now.

I don't mind taking that test once a year.  For instance, if I don't get into a PhD program this year and want to re-apply next year, I would consider laying down $185 *next year* for another go at it.  I just can't bring myself to lay down $185 in back to back months or multiple times in a year.  THAT, to me, feels like ETS (and the GRE in general) is just totally scamming me and/or pissing me off.

Fortunately for me, with my Verbal GRE being what it is (mind you, my writing score is high (5), although I know that matters less), I'm not aiming for top schools. I'm really not ambitious about where I go (I'd as soon go to a #87 school as I would a #5 school).  I just want to be around people who would support me in the things I want to do, and help me develop academically, and I think that can be achieved in the vast majority of schools.  Of course, I would go to #5 over #87 if I thought I'd like it better and I had the option, because I know how the world works and I'm not completely immune to the concept of prestige. But if I only got into a # 87 school, I would be thrilled.

The only reason I was bucking for a higher GRE score is that I think all schools are competitive, and I think even at "lower ranked" schools, I need as strong a GRE score as I can get.  

But....I'm resigned to my score not going much higher.  

Edited by antigone56