With these stats could I get into a decent MBA program?

mbrdrck27

Doing a little bit of LinkedIn stalking and researching about students accepted to the likes of Fuqua, Wharton, Ross, etc., I've noticed the trend that students in these schools generally study business during their undergraduate career. Unfortunately I don't fit that mold. For the sake of curiosity, how do you think I'd fare? Obviously I will have to get great GMAT scores as well.

Education:

-B.S. in Cultural Anthropology

-Thesis included a documentary currently used in schools across the US

-B.A. in Comparative Religious Studies

-Minor in Asian Studies

-3.4 GPA

Full-time Work: 

During undergrad days

-1 year Assistant Manager of medium volume clothing company 

-2 years Manager of aforementioned company

Post undergrad

-2 years Retail Sales (also training and repairs) for Fortune 10 company

-3 years JET Programme (cultural exchange and teaching English in Japan)

Additional:
-Japanese N3, basic Spanish, lots of club leadership activities, lots of volunteering

Basically I want to get into a great MBA program, because I believe my business track record has fared well so far - amazingly ANTH and RELS lessons translated very well into the business environment. However, I don't know how accepting MBAs are of folks like myself. Anyone heard of similar stories or have any wisdom?

Alternatively I have an outstanding job offer to work as an Executive Search Consultant (i.e. Headhunter) for a small, but growing firm in Tokyo. Opinions on whether such work is worth it? The salary isn't particularly high, especially for living in Tokyo, but I wonder if it could later boost my MBA app. 

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated for getting into a globally focused MBA. I'm particularly interested in areas of consulting, management, and supply chain/operations.  

Thanks in advance!
Edited by mbrdrck27

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that you didn't major in business for your undergrad is immaterial. Not going to matter. Your 3.4 GPA is not very high - that is going to matter. I need your GMAT scores to chance you. You'd need your GMAT to be very, very high to balance out what otherwise would be a somewhat less than ideal GPA. Not that it's really low or anything - just that it's not stellar, so it needs your GMAT scores as a balance.

In terms of your work experience - I feel you need to bump that up a serious notch. You'll be applying alongside people who have worked in elite level consulting, who have won the Olympic Silver Medal in their sport - so I'd like you to take that job in Tokyo. It hooks into your JET experience, and it going to make your work history look a lot more interesting and rich.

Some MBA programs would like you to have taken statistics and accounting before you join them, so that may be something to keep in mind. Again, no need to have majored in business.