Illness/disability

bobtriesgradschool

I really want to go to grad school for a phd in the humanities. I have a chronic illness/disability that makes me take a reduced course load and a longer time to graduate college. Will grad schools turn me away because of this? Will there be any chance of funding if I do manage to get accepted? Any advice would be great!

They legally cannot turn you away because of a disability; however, they may have a requirement that students attend the program full-time. Are you registered with your undergraduate Student Disability Services?

I went through two bachelors degrees and one masters degree (fully funded) with an out of control seizure disorder. However, in order to maintain that funding, I had to meet minimum requirements: 9 credit hours of coursework (3 classes) and 6 credit hours of teaching (2 classes). I could not drop down to taking two classes and teaching two or I would lose the TAship. ADA had no effect on this. I was accommodated (and still am) in the student ways, but not in the funding. I discovered this to be the case after speaking with a disability lawyer and the epilepsy foundation. All the school must do is provide reasonable access to education through accommodations. They do not have to change requirements or content.

Schools shouldn't turn you away for the disability, but they could turn you away from some funding opportunities. Speak with your current school's disability services people to ask them more about how they deal with disabled graduate students. Speak with your current program's faculty, particularly the ones involved with selection graduate students (if that program exists) for advice on how to apply.

Lisa44201, I'm registered with my current school and am considered full-time with a reduced course load as a reasonable accommodation, but understand that this may not work the same for grad students.

danieleWrites, thanks so much for your response!! Why does the ADA have no effect on funding? Could you point me to some specific reasons you learned from the disability lawyer and epilepsy foundation? This is exactly what I'm worried about, but on some fundamental level, it doesn't make sense to me. Access would seem to include access to the funding that could allow you to continue the program. Do you have any advice on how to make it without being on a reduced course load?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys.!
People with chronic conditions often face more difficulties. Chronic conditions can affect physical, cognitive, social, and emotional spheres. Common chronic diseases include arthritis, asthma, cancer, diabetes and Aids.Think about possible outcomes and discuss them with the doctor can help you to face them.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Hi Guys.!

People with chronic conditions often face more difficulties. Chronic conditions can affect physical, cognitive, social, and emotional spheres. Common chronic diseases include arthritis, asthma, cancer, diabetes and Aids.Think about possible outcomes and discuss them with the doctor can help you to face them.

You sound like an infomercial.