In Need of Guidance

HannahJane

I am currently an undergraduate student studying sociology and am set to graduate this upcoming summer. I have started to seriously think about pursuing a Ph.D in environmental sociology. After looking over the programs available in the states I am most interested in the one offered by University of Co. at Boulder, but am wondering what the other programs that I should be paying attention to are. 

After I graduate I am planning on taking a year (more likely two) to work. This is important to me because I want to gain experience, save some money, and generally grow up before moving on to graduate school. What types of jobs exist for fresh graduates that could give me the type of experience I need for a Ph.D? I live in Boston and am planning on staying there until I enter school again, so am especially interested in information about opportunities there. 

Finally, I am wondering who I should be reading and where I should be looking in order to become more knowledgeable about environmental sociology. 

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated! 

Not my area of specialty but here is a list of programs that specialize in environmental sociology and related fields. 

I can't paste the direct link but here is where you should be looking: envirosoc(dot)org(slash)gradprograms.php

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers to the rest of your questions. Best of luck.

Edited by Revō

Re this question: 

Finally, I am wondering who I should be reading and where I should be looking in order to become more knowledgeable about environmental sociology. 

What in environmental sociology interests you? If you give me a better idea I may be able to point you in the right direction. 

• 2 weeks later...

What in environmental sociology interests you? If you give me a better idea I may be able to point you in the right direction. 

Methods of human/environment sustainability and how power structures, specifically corporate interest, are influencing the environmental crisis are what I am mainly interested. 

Good job getting an early start! I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I had been thinking about all these questions years ago instead of only giving myself a year.

Thanks! I'm hoping working on this now will help keep some of the stress down later.