MPA revisted

ArtsyGirl

Hi guys.  I tried unsuccessfully last year to gain admission into a few programs that I don't think were right for me based on my career goals in the first place (fail).  Now that I've had time to lick my wounds and re-evaluate things,

I've decided that an MPA would be the best choice for me.  My background is unrelated to business and don't have much quantitative work behind me.  I already have an MA in linguistics and have been teaching at universities abroad for the past few years while working with a non-profit start-up that is based in the states.  I would like to move into non-profit management and have some volunteer and board experience at arts organizations and literacy organizations.  I am most interested in arts management /cultural policy in an international context, but I would also like to get a general understanding of public and non-profit management.  I have been looking at the following programs:

Indiana-MPA-MAAA dual degree (Public Affairs-nonprofit focus with Arts Administration)

CMU-MAM-GIOCA dual degree (Arts Management and Innovation/Organizatioon of Culture and the Arts)...not an MPA but within a Public Policy school  Debating whether or not to keep this on my list because it is more narrowly focused, but I know it's a good program.

USC-MPA

UGA-MPA

Syracuse-MPA

I will stay involved with the nonprofit (newly awarded 501c3 status) and I do hope to actually apply the things that I learn to the organization to make it better.  We are working on getting funding, but we are a ways away from that so I will still need a day job :-) ....I would like to graduate with the tools I need to get the nonprofit where it needs to be, and I would also like to work in a cultural organization. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions for programs to apply to?  Do you have any general bits of advice?  Any advice in terms of outside funding sources?  Anyone have experience in any of the aforementioned programs?

The best advice that I can give you from my own experience, is make sure that your overall application is great. Dont get caught up in parts of it (such as maybe a lower GPA, since really not much you can do about it other than take some grad level classes), or a GRE score. A GRE score, from what I know is not something that will get you in, meaning you do not need to have a very high score, you just need a fairly good score (so I'd say Q160/V160, although someone could chime in more on this). Make sure that you follow the personal statement guidelines, and make sure that you provide the admissions committee with a clear idea on as to why you want to do an MPA, and what you career goals are. If you can, try and intertwine it with a personal story (what you have been through and all). Lastly, recommendations are key. I was not the best applicant (since I was straight out of undergrad) but I made sure my personal statement reflected my goals and my reason for MPA/MPP at that point in time, and I made sure that I asked for rec's from professors that knew me really well and whom I had worked for/with one on one. So ensure that the people you ask know you and your capabilities fairly well, and are willing to write you a glowing (but accurate/descriptive rec).

As for what universities you could look at., the list you have so far seems fairly balanced (from the point of view of the whole reach, target, safety thing). I would advice you to add NYU Wagner because they have a fairly good MPA program in not for profit management. Furthermore, I suggest you look into a few more programs, that are, well for a lack of a better word "top programs". Look into SIPA (it is a big program but well recognized), Princeton WWS (if you get in, could get fully funded, but very competitive), and HKS MPA/MPP. If you want international work SAIS would be good, however if I m not mistaken they are more policy and int'l development focused. 

Hope this helped, and good luck!

Edited by tribesdude