Is it rude to check "funding is required?"

C&C

As I've been filling out applications, I've noticed that most programs ask:

1. Do you wish to be considered for financial aid. 2. Do you require financial assistance to study here?

Since I've informed my professors that I'm applying for Fall 2014, most all of them have insisted that I not consider programs that don't offer aid at all, or ones that would accept my application but not offer aid. On my applications I've been checking both boxes saying that I want aid, and that I require it to attend a program...because it's true! However, does that mean my application has a higher chance of getting thrown out sooner because I need some sort of TA or research position to get through school? Or do most applicants fill out the form the same way? 

What it comes down to is that I want to do whatever I can to give myself a better chance of acceptance, and not come across as rude in my application.

Thanks in advance!

tumblr_lvcy3wVHwH1qldt8eo1_500.gif

(^How I feel when filling out these apps.) 

Are you applying for MA or PhD programs?

Most MA students do not get financial aid so saying you require it may hurt your chances in a meaningful way.

But for PhD students in the humanities and social sciences financial support is the norm. If a department actually likes you and the faculty actually want to work with you then they will offer you money. If they don't then either they don't really want you to be there (making it a bad place to attend) or they department/university is in a major financial crunch (making it a bad place to attend). If you offer to pay your own way then some places are more likely to accept you if only because you are offering to give them fat stacks of cash. But do you really want to spend 5-7 years working with people who primarily see you as a source of income?

Edit: So, no, it is not rude to check those boxes.

Edited by Bactrian

It is in no way rude to check such boxes, assuming you are applying for a PhD.  The lifetime earning for a humanities and social sciences PhD do not merit paying for the degree. 

Repeat the mantra, "An unfunded history PhD is a preventable mistake."

If you need funding and that's the only way you will be able to attend Graduate school, then it's not rude to check boxes - it's being honest about your case so that they will know how to treat your application in the fairest possible manner.

If you get funding, you attend otherwise you don't attend because you don't have funding. If they like your application, they will find funding if they can, otherwise they will tell you they don't have funding and then you don't attend, period.

Although it is usually more difficult to get funding for Masters, I know several cases where Masters students got funding because their applications were highly appreciated by the faculty. Besides, usually it's possible to find out in advance before applying if a Masters program has funding.

A PhD without funding is not worth getting into.

Edited by Seeking

Thanks everyone! I'm applying to both terminal Masters programs and dual Masters to PhD programs and they all offer funding. I might still consider leaving the boxes blank for the terminal programs since none of them are terribly expensive, and I would already qualify for the cheaper in-state tuition.

Thanks everyone! I'm applying to both terminal Masters programs and dual Masters to PhD programs and they all offer funding. I might still consider leaving the boxes blank for the terminal programs since none of them are terribly expensive, and I would already qualify for the cheaper in-state tuition.

Talk to someone at those terminal MA programs (probably the DGS). You don't want to leave money on the table if you don't have to and getting financial support for a terminal MA can look good later. I would not assume that leaving those boxes blank would give your application a boost.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm looking at master's programs too and what I've noticed is the programs that do offer funding usually only do to a few people. For example, the two programs I'm looking at that offer funding accept 20-30 applicants a year but only fund 2-3 of them. If you're confident that you'll be the top 2-3 of their applicants, then sure. 

Smart professors will actually dissuade you from paying for the PhD.  If they see an application (ever) with an unchecked box for "I need money!" well, that's stupidity right there.  Bam, rejection.

For terminal masters...

There is also partial funding.  I had a TAship that gave me 1/3rd tuition remission during mine and that's all the program could afford and they only gave out 6 out of 20 or so each year.  But even paying what I did for that masters was infinitely valuable to me because my masters got me into a better PhD program.

I'm looking at master's programs too and what I've noticed is the programs that do offer funding usually only do to a few people. For example, the two programs I'm looking at that offer funding accept 20-30 applicants a year but only fund 2-3 of them. If you're confident that you'll be the top 2-3 of their applicants, then sure. 

I just bumped a thread for you.

Good luck.