(Out of three LoRs) Two self-written (but to be edited) LoRs

myoranges

Hello,

I asked two professors and my summer research adviser for LoRs - and one of the professors and summer research adviser asked me to write a draft of my recommendation letter to them. No misunderstandings here, I trust them to the fullest extent (the professor has 25+ years of experience of getting students into places that they want to attend), but I just started feeling a bit of paranoia, as I am nervous whether or not my writing style would be conspicuous when my recommendation letters are reviewed. (it's quite distinct - not horrid though, in my judgment) In addition, I just find this situation to be perplexing, as I am acquainted with both individuals on a personal level (i.e. occasional email interactions or having had meals together, in addition to frequent interaction regarding projects and research), even though I suspect that my short length of duration of acquaintance to be the reason why they asked me to have drafts of recommendation letters. Of course, they are planning on editing my recommendation letter once I send them my letters.

Just curious; is what two individuals mentioned above requested perceived as a common (or at least not rare) practice for applicants? I would highly appreciate your feedbacks.

Edited by myoranges

I feel like it's not rare, but also not quite common. I had one prof ask me to write my LOR myself, and she would then edit it, and there's some profs who always do that, while others would never dream of it. Ideally, your recommenders would write all their LoR themselves, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Do you happen to have a lecturer that you trust who could proof your LoRs? Or, could you ask a friend who's well-acquainted with your work (like a colleague) to draft it, so your writing style isn't too distinct and obvious?