Got Accepted - But No Funding!

After an arduous and painstaking process, I have been accepted to 2 MS programs in my field. As much as I'm thrilled by the success, I do feel that not having the assurance of funding does make me nervous as grad level study in the US is quite expensive - and even more so for an international applicant like me. I'm still waiting on another 2 decisions. But I'm pretty sure that the chances of getting accepted with funding are very low, as I do not have a research or teaching background since completing my Bachelor's. I haven't yet made up my mind which school to attend.

Now I need advice: what should I do in such a scenario? With the help of my family, I have enough funds to pay fees for my first semester. But thereafter, I wouldn't want to burden my family with finances any further. I do know of an example where an MS student got financial assistance after being accepted without funding: one of my classmates (from B.Sc.) attended Virginia Tech for MS in 2009. He didn't get any funding in the 1st semester, however, he managed to get some sort of financial assistance (probably a TA-ship) from the 2nd semester onward.

I'm sure others have also gone through similar experiences. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

First of all : CONGRATULATIONS ! Getting accepted is the first step, and it is very meaningful. I think that once you actually get there and start the program, things can actually get smoother funding-wise. Masters' programs are notoriously expensive in the USA but there are always opportunities to get some funding after a semester or two.

Do you have a lot of time to think ? Keeping schools in the wait can back-fire so if your best school has said yes, go for it :). And again : congrats man, very well done :D

I can somewhat relate to you! I have applied to 2 schools for Fall 2014 and have yet to apply for a 3rd school. I'm still waiting for the results though, which would be released early next year I believe. I'm also relying on any sort of funding--whether a scholarship or an assistantship. My plan is to attend even if I don't get any funding for the 1st semester, hoping that I'll have more chances of getting funding thereafter. I know of people who did that as well and they eventually got funding once they were there. I'll take the risk!

Tell us how it goes! Best of luck to you! 

First of all : CONGRATULATIONS ! Getting accepted is the first step, and it is very meaningful. I think that once you actually get there and start the program, things can actually get smoother funding-wise. Masters' programs are notoriously expensive in the USA but there are always opportunities to get some funding after a semester or two.

Do you have a lot of time to think ? Keeping schools in the wait can back-fire so if your best school has said yes, go for it :). And again : congrats man, very well done :D

Thanks a lot Mik! We're both on the same boat now (Well actually you got on the boat a little earlier than me :D ). The last few days before the decision were heart-stopping. But it all feels worth it now. I will surely heed your advice about keeping the schools waiting. Let's see what the remaining schools have to say about my application.

I can somewhat relate to you! I have applied to 2 schools for Fall 2014 and have yet to apply for a 3rd school. I'm still waiting for the results though, which would be released early next year I believe. I'm also relying on any sort of funding--whether a scholarship or an assistantship. My plan is to attend even if I don't get any funding for the 1st semester, hoping that I'll have more chances of getting funding thereafter. I know of people who did that as well and they eventually got funding once they were there. I'll take the risk!

Tell us how it goes! Best of luck to you! 

Seems very likely that I'll take the risk as well!! ;) Let's just hope it pays off.

And thanks for the good wishes, I'll definitely keep you posted.

All the best to you for Fall 2014!

Edited by AdilB990

I've been going through my potential schools' respective websites searching for scholarships available to international students. Trying to find out whether they offer any performance-based scholarships. But, sadly, no luck so far!

Does this mean that the only option for international (F1 visa) students to fund their studies in the US is either a TA-ship or an RA-ship?

Enlighten me guys!

Congratulations! You should contact the Director of Graduate Studies in the schools you've been accepted to and ask about your chances of getting funding from assistanceships after your first semester. This is not an unreasonable question.

Try here: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-scholarship-coach/2012/03/22/an-international-students-guide-to-us-scholarships

Unless otherwise stated, most scholarships are open to anyone, not just American students.

Thanks a lot for your input, daniele! Really appreciate it. I'll definitely contact the respective graduate schools.

The link is also very useful. The slightest glimmer of a funding opportunity will be a massive morale-booster for me.