Greek Survey

george_lit

I want to know how it's possible to do it! They read in one week the equivalent of what we're reading in a whole semester in advanced Greek. How is it possible to get through the volume of material? Do you need to have most of the vocab down already and understand how the language works at a glance? It's such a massive leap from the previous level that I don't know how it's possible to do it (but I want to try).

G

I'm in Greek survey right now, and we read anywhere from 600 lines to 1200 lines a week, averaging about 1000. It IS possible. Greek is my weaker of the two languages. In my experience, the trick is to break it down into several small bits and do it consistently throughout the week. I'll do sixty lines in the morning, sixty lines at night, and do that daily. I also write on the text and try to read it with a friend when I can -- that way I'm engaging as many senses as possible and will have a better chance of remembering it. Mastering all of the vocabulary is impossible... you should work towards memorizing a core vocabulary, but there are so many words that fall into the category of hapax legomenon that you just can't master them all.  You need to have a good basic understanding of the grammar.  You should have at least a couple 4000 level classes under your belt before trying survey.  And when you begin studying for your PhD reading list exam, you start to realize how little you actually covered in the year of survey. One of my profs recommended to read it three times: once without any lexical aids, once with a commentary and dictionary, and once against a translation (to check yourself). I confess that I don't often make it to a third reading (although I do try to read it at least twice). Using online resources, like the TLG, is also really helpful.  

Edited by Conscia Fati

Hi, please forgive me if my tone sounds brusque, I do mean to help. Basically I've looked at a few survey lists online since I'm thinking of applying to US universities and...it really doesn't look like too much. Certainly much less than what I've had to read for my BA. 

Here is my advice: Fundamentals are key. Reading Greek is easy when you adopt a breezy pace but how much are you taking in? I thought I was awesome at first until I started composition classes at the end of my first year and...well it was embarassing! searching for the right register of vocabulary, using the wrong construction and so on. Believe it or not, these lapses effect reading ability. So make sure you're VERY tight on grammar and vocab (memorise frequency lists) and try to get some practice each day away from your reading list. E.g it can be just reading or practising your comp skills.

Re-read! I disagree with the idea of reading with a translation but whatever you prefer. Set an amount of lines to be read and then review. After a while you get a feeling for how often you need to review. For example if I'm reading Tragedy I just re-read the whole thing, whereas with comedies I tend to review via episodia since they don't stick well in my head...

"Reading Circles" for lack of a better name, basically certain texts are best grouped together in terms of genre, themes or shared vocabulary. You need to pin these down. Seriously don't read in isolation, you won't retain vocab nor will you be sensitive to illusions and what not.

Final tip since I'm boring you. It often helps, as counter productive as it sounds, to have one text...even just one text seriously...per genre or per author that you know REALLY well. Like, have gone over with a fine tooth comb sort of thing. I don't know why, it just really really helps. I would never have got through lyric poetry without taking time away each term just to really master a handful of poems. Somehow it just works.  

Hi, please forgive me if my tone sounds brusque, I do mean to help. Basically I've looked at a few survey lists online since I'm thinking of applying to US universities and...it really doesn't look like too much. Certainly much less than what I've had to read for my BA. 

Here is my advice: Fundamentals are key. Reading Greek is easy when you adopt a breezy pace but how much are you taking in? I thought I was awesome at first until I started composition classes at the end of my first year and...well it was embarassing! searching for the right register of vocabulary, using the wrong construction and so on. Believe it or not, these lapses effect reading ability. So make sure you're VERY tight on grammar and vocab (memorise frequency lists) and try to get some practice each day away from your reading list. E.g it can be just reading or practising your comp skills.

Re-read! I disagree with the idea of reading with a translation but whatever you prefer. Set an amount of lines to be read and then review. After a while you get a feeling for how often you need to review. For example if I'm reading Tragedy I just re-read the whole thing, whereas with comedies I tend to review via episodia since they don't stick well in my head...

"Reading Circles" for lack of a better name, basically certain texts are best grouped together in terms of genre, themes or shared vocabulary. You need to pin these down. Seriously don't read in isolation, you won't retain vocab nor will you be sensitive to illusions and what not.

Final tip since I'm boring you. It often helps, as counter productive as it sounds, to have one text...even just one text seriously...per genre or per author that you know REALLY well. Like, have gone over with a fine tooth comb sort of thing. I don't know why, it just really really helps. I would never have got through lyric poetry without taking time away each term just to really master a handful of poems. Somehow it just works.  

Where are you applying?

Hi Conscia -- thanks for your detailed reply. When you say 1000 lines is that e.g. from Loeb edition? In my 3000 level Greek I'd estimate we're reading 200-250 lines a week and it's challenging for me. I think you're right that I probably need one more year before I try to tackle Survey.

Hi George -- I am referring to the OCT (Oxford Classical Text).  Per week: 1000 lines of poetry is pretty standard in my program, or about 25-30 OCT pages of prose.  For super difficult texts, like Aeschylus' Agamemnon, the amount drops down to about 600-700 lines.  IMHO, you should have two years of upper levels before tackling survey, and should have experience with both prose and poetry authors.  Good luck -- and feel free to ask any other questions. :)

No real idea yet, I know it's late in the day but I've yet to finalise a list. I'm sort of a little lost there, ha.

Fair enough! Sounds like you have read quite a lot, so I was curious as to where you hope to end up for grad. studies.  Best of luck! 

Fair enough! Sounds like you have read quite a lot, so I was curious as to where you hope to end up for grad. studies.  Best of luck! 

Ah all right, well to be honest the programme I went through was rather rigorous in getting a lot of literature down rapidly before preceding onto philological analysis and then there's the fact that there is always going to be a lot of overlap between subject areas, e.g Herodotos and Homer give you, pound for pound, such a powerful scope. 

And thank you. And, honestly, since I'm not an American any help or guidance you feel like throwing my way would be very much appreciated re: university choice and, especially, those bloody application essays! 

Also, wow, 700 lines of Agamemnon a week is pretty fast depending on how many hours. I really hated that play you know, it was so...difficult in places. To this day I've only read it once and doubt I'll go over it again without duress.