Sent GRE scores before starting applications

Guest criminologist

Guest criminologist

I took the GRE in august this year and submitted my scores to some schools I was going to apply to after taking the test as part of the test fee. I had not started an application for any of schools I wanted to apply for at that time yet, I now recently began working on my applications, will they still have received them already?

Thanks. 

I heard that most of the departments do not maintain GRE scores unless application fee are paid. You'd better make account for the department you intend to apply and pay the application fee first. After your application fee is paid, they will make separate folder for you, and maintain documents related to you.

That might be true, but in my experience, everything worked out for me. I wrote my subject exam 2 years before I applied and my General GRE 5 months before (and sent the 4 free scores right after the test). When I got to the part in the application that asks for my GRE registration number, I typed it in and my scores popped up right away for the schools where I had already sent them. So while it's true that specific departments don't necessarily keep track of your documents until you pay your fee, most schools keep track of GRE scores through a University-wide system, and the application software is run by the Graduate School, not each department separately!