I want to get into Columbia. What is considered a GREAT personal statement?

Well, a great personal statement will be personal, first of all. So I doubt there is an example of a perfect personal statement, since it is pretty subjective and all applicants are different. I know this doesn't really help, but if you read your way through the "SOP: mistakes to avoid" thread, you might understand what's needed.

Well, a great personal statement will be personal, first of all. So I doubt there is an example of a perfect personal statement, since it is pretty subjective and all applicants are different. I know this doesn't really help, but if you read your way through the "SOP: mistakes to avoid" thread, you might understand what's needed.

No, this helps. Thanks, MikKar. Can I ask you a huge favor? Would you be willing to read mine?

Good rule of thumb: committees don't know, completely, what they're looking for until they see it. Of course, do all the usual stuff (work history, who you admire in your field, etc.) but it's up to you to figure out how to stand out. Don't gamble on it, but catch their eyes. What makes you special? Why should they want you, specifically?

Generally, an SOP an English program should details your academic past and how it has led you to your current interests, then discuss future projects and questions you wish to address in your work, and, of course, explain how the faculty and resources of the target university will help you achieve your goals.  There are no "rules" but there are things you should not do ie talk about how much you love literature.  

I have no found any examples online, but I have reached out to a few current grad students that I know and asked for theirs.  Perhaps you could do the same?

I can read your statement if you wish.  I am also an English applicant.

Edited by semicolon2013