classes as a special student?

Kibble

I've posted before about maybe doing an advanced masters degree and considering a phd.

well, there's a big seminary about an hour away (a reputable one :) )and they will let me register for a class in January as a special student if I get my paperwork in soon.

I'm pretty sure I can use the course for degree credit if I wanted to later on, and if nothing else, it would let me test out a return to classes before quitting my day job etc.

Is there any reason not to take a class in January?

and, if I am going to take a class for credit and a reference later, am I better off taking 1) a really basic, introductory, easy course, 2) a more specific course that will stretch me somewhat but on a topic of interest, or 3) the most challenging course I can find so I can show that I can do high-level work?

Im really new to this, so any and all advice is appreciated.

Absolutely test the waters with that course. That's a great idea.

If you've been out of school for a while, I don't see any reason not to just take a basic course to get your feet wet. I don't think you need to prove anything to anyone just yet with this being sort of a test course for yourself.