Letters were never received

suprrupe05

Good afternoon all,

I recently applied for Graduate School. I submitted my transcripts, personal statement and asked two individuals to write a letter of recommendation. I gave them an addressed, stamped envelope and an overview of the program about a month ago. After calling the school, they informed me everything has been received except for the letters. My only thought is, I may have potentially addressed the envelopes incorrectly. What is the proper etiquette for this? Do I just email / call them and ask the status and inform them of my mistake?

Thanks!

When is the deadline? It's entirely possible that your recommenders just haven't sent the letter in yet. It's quite early in the application process for most schools. If it's past the deadline, you should email your recommenders to ask if they sent the letters and you can tell them the school says they were not received. If the deadline is a long time from now, I'd probably just wait, but you could also just send your recommenders a reminder and ask if they have any questions of if there is anything else you could help them with. I'd also ask them to let you know when they send the letter, so you can know when to follow up with the school about receiving it. This will give you a good excuse to send periodic follow-up emails to ask if they've submitted the letter already and remind them of upcoming deadlines.

Phone call time!

"Hey so and so, I wanted to touch base with you. I was talking to my admissions advisor and they said my file wasn't complete because I was missing a letter of rec - so I wanted to check with you and make sure everything went ok, and if not, see what we need to do to get it sent/resent. KTHXBAI!!!"

Pretty much. That'll solve your issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response! I called the school and explained that I incorrectly wrote the address down for the envelope. They said I could have my LOR's sent via email if they were on letterhead. I contacted both individuals and they agreed to send them via email. I received word yesterday I got accepted! Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the late response! I called the school and explained that I incorrectly wrote the address down for the envelope. They said I could have my LOR's sent via email if they were on letterhead. I contacted both individuals and they agreed to send them via email. I received word yesterday I got accepted! Thanks for the help.

Congrats!