Application strategies

caranciaest

I'm currently in a UK master's program, looking to do a PhD (fall 2015 entry) either in the UK or the US. I'm trying to figure out what I ought to be doing at the moment to be able to write the strongest possible application. I'm in the field of continental philosophy and critical/political theory. What are the most important things I can do before the application deadline?

I think the one component of an application that takes the longest time is getting a good relationship with professors so that you can get a very strong LOR. If you are in a Masters program, I would assume that you might have at least one person from undergrad, maybe you did a honours/senior thesis with them? You probably have an advisor for your Masters program too, so that makes 2 LORs. So, in your shoes, I would try to get a third LOR lined up starting at this point. In my field, the best LORs are those from research supervisors, so I would maybe think about doing a side-project to get a third completed research project. But, if you already have 3 research related LORs, or if research LORs aren't important in your field, then I guess you should find other ways to strengthen LORs by forming stronger relationships with people you have in mind for LORs. 

Alternatively, you could also prepare for and take the GRE early to get it out of the way! And, if you are able to travel to conferences in the next 2 years, you can start making a list of people you are interested in working with and then chat them up at the next conference. And you can also use the conferences to hear talks from lots of people in order to find someone you'd like to work with! 

I think the one component of an application that takes the longest time is getting a good relationship with professors so that you can get a very strong LOR. If you are in a Masters program, I would assume that you might have at least one person from undergrad, maybe you did a honours/senior thesis with them? You probably have an advisor for your Masters program too, so that makes 2 LORs. So, in your shoes, I would try to get a third LOR lined up starting at this point. In my field, the best LORs are those from research supervisors, so I would maybe think about doing a side-project to get a third completed research project. But, if you already have 3 research related LORs, or if research LORs aren't important in your field, then I guess you should find other ways to strengthen LORs by forming stronger relationships with people you have in mind for LORs. 

Alternatively, you could also prepare for and take the GRE early to get it out of the way! And, if you are able to travel to conferences in the next 2 years, you can start making a list of people you are interested in working with and then chat them up at the next conference. And you can also use the conferences to hear talks from lots of people in order to find someone you'd like to work with! 

That's good advice. So LORs are really important? What else could I be doing from now until submitting the application?

In my opinion, LORs are the most important part of your application that could benefit from any extra preparation this far in advance. Powerful LORs come from people who have known you as an academic for many many years, and this is hard to do when you start looking for LOR relationships the year of your application. Also, getting LORs = getting research experience, which is also super valuable, at least in my field.