Order of preference for fellowships

sprajagopal

I'm applying for the PhD program in UCI and I have a section where I'm required to select scholarship options in a preference order. I have attached a pic of the section.

Screenshot

is this something specific to the institute and should I be asking grad students currently in UCI? What should be the criteria for selcting there? Work hours or money involved?

Edited by sprajagopal

You need to know how much each option pays, and how much (if anything) you'll have to pay yourself. If all the funding options cover tuition and some reasonable amount of living expenses, then the next question is how much work is involved in each option, if any. You also need to find out if there are some funding sources you may not qualify for (e.g. diversity fellowship). 

The 2nd one is almost certainly just an out of state tuition waiver. It's your last choice i think.

The first is the obvious first choice - free money!

3 and 4 are "jobs."

5 is if you're applying as a diverse student.. you "not white" gay, transgendered, female, etc..?

And between 3 and 4 is just the difference between lab work and teaching.

They can easily give you more than 1, btw.

Had an out of state tuition waiver, graduate assistant, and was hired by the program itself. So i got the lower tuition, got paid to teach, and got paid to do "lab work" so to speak (the equivilent for my major.)