Essay Question and limited direct experience - applying to MSW program

ontheswpath

1) One of the essay topics for my grad application asks us to choose an issue relevant to social welfare and recommend how we would address the problem, assuming we had all the resources to do so. What would you recommend in terms of how to approach this topic? I was thinking about addressing child poverty. Do you think this is too broad of a topic to choose or should I be more specific?

2) I'm changing careers from Human Resources to Social Work and want to work in the child welfare field. For the past 7 years I have worked for a Social Services/ Community Mental Health organization, but as support staff to management and mental health practitioners. I've seen the work of our remarkable staff, but I do not have much hands on experience. Several months ago I started mentoring a young boy through a mentor program and I've also volunteered for a few weeks overseas caring for abused, neglected, and orphaned children, but so far that is the extent of my direct volunteer experience. My experience overseas and experiences with my mentee have further confirmed my decision to purse a career in social work. My question is: In terms of revising my resume, what approach would you recommend in tying the non-direct work experience with my interest in the social work field?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!