Good MA programs for someone who wants to get a Phd in media/cultural studies?

kilene

Hello

After weeks of research, I concluded that I would need a MA degree to get in to my dream Phd programs in the future. I have a BA in film and my interests are kind of all over the place but it's mostly: media studies, cultural theory, transnational art, and visual studies. 

I don't have much background in either sociology or anthropology, but I am hoping to draw more insight from these fields in addition to my undergrad film background in my graduate studies. 

Some programs I've been looking into are:

LSE Global communications

USC Critical studies MA

UCLA Film and media studies MA

NYU Media, culture and communication MA

WUSTL American Culture Studies MA

UW Madison Communication Arts-Media and cultural studies MA

CMU Literary and cultural studies MA

My dream programs would be Brown MCM or Stanford MTL but since they only offer Phd tracks, I'm not sure if I'll even try applying this year. Anyone have recommendations on a good MA program other than the ones I listed? I'd greatly appreciate any comments on the programs I already have in mind as well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have heard that Boston University has a good program in Media Studies and/or Film and Television Studies. I don't know about funding (many MAs in Film/Media Studies are largely unfunded, I think - at least that was my case), but a few former Boston University students I have spoken to went on to PhD programs such as the Critical Studies program at USC.

University of Texas at Austin also has a Media Studies program that I have heard good things about. A friend of mine recently applied for 2014 admission.

Edited by timbodi