Jewish history-need some help determinine where (else) to apply

hist

Hello all,

I'm finishing up my MA, and I'm applying to PhD programs for Fall 2014. I study Modern Jewish History, and my research is on a highly specialized transnational issue. My problem is that I need a modern Jewish historian who focuses on, or at least is interested in transnational issues in Modern Jewish history. So far I'm looking at NYU, Columbia, and UCLA. I might add Stanford, Brandeis, and GWU to that list, but I'm on the fence.

Do any of you have any recommendations for additional programs I should look at? I really do want to add more (especially because I don't know how competitive I'd be in those application pools). Any advice from other Jewish historians would be appreciated!

Thank you so much.

ETA: Haha you can tell I'm stressed by the typos in the thread name oy.

Edited by hist

Did that (I have been in graduate school for two and a half years; I know most of the tricks). There are literally 4 scholarly works on my topic. One person is dead, one is a librarian, one is retired, and one works at the University of Melbourne--moving to Australia is just not an option for me.

I'm not being lazy/dramatic when I say that locating potential advisers in more than 3-5 departments is a struggle.

Edited by hist

Maybe look at UVA? James Loeffler is doing some work on modern Jewish history and human rights. What are your theoretical / methodological interests? There are also some people working on transatlantic discourse that might be interested in advising a project such as yours.