To travel or not to travel during winter break?

shockwave

I have some free time and some spare change and am debating whether or not to visit my field site for a short trip.  Give the holiday travel costs, it is looking like it will cost about $1,500-$2,000 out of pocket and I am not really sure how much I am going to actually get done.  I am planning to spend all of summer 2014 at my field site and will be heading into the field the 2015-2016 academic year.  I am just wondering if anyone had any input on this.  I feel like I would be wasting my time if I didn't go, but I think going might be too rushed and economically not a great idea.  And while I know I will definitely get some good data out of it, I am not sure if it will add a major contribution to me being there for 3 months next summer.  Any thoughts?  Or any ideas on how I should spend my winter break instead?  Beside from reading and writing as much as I possibly can?