Questions on Financial Aid section of application

heyo

I am filling out an application for a PhD in CS, and I'm not really sure how to handle this section. I only intend to enroll in a program assuming I get funded fully by a stipend or similar from the school. How should I answer these questions?

"Please indicate if you will apply for, or are interested in financial assistance including federal loans, work-study and private financing programs."

(Yes/No)

"Please indicate if you are available for any of the following types of employment:

Temporary work

Part-time work

Benefits-eligible full-time work"

I know that sometimes funding ends up consisting of a Research or Teaching Assistant type position. Are these questions asking if I'm interested in this sort of thing or in some additional odd job?

Edited by heyo

• 2 weeks later...

After scanning a bunch of obscure and google-translated message boards, my impression is that if I want to get an RA/TA-ship, I should select "Yes" for the first question, and "Part-time work" for the second. This may or may not be right, but it's probably what I'll submit, in case it helps anybody.

@heyo

For PhD programs in general, your money will come from either the university or from a federal/private grant that your PI has earned. A loan, work-study or anything else would only happen under very extreme circumstances. You really shouldn't be interested in any of those options because a PhD is almost always paid for.

Also, I would say you're eligible for full-time work, since that implies that you'd be eligible for any other type of work. These questions do not make sense anyway because technically you'd be a full-time student with teaching, classes and/or research responsibilities. 

Hope that helps.

DTB